Warning, The Wife !!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by slingashot, Dec 4, 2013.

1. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

So there I was, happily honing my accuracy skills with the Green Harpee, when the wife walks into the shed. Not too impressed with my grouping inside a 3 inch circle at 10 metres, she wanted to have a go to show me how to do it. With trepidation I handed her the Harpee and tried to show her how to hold it correctly. Big mistake !! “I used to shoot these things when I was a kid” came the reply. “Just leave me alone and let me show how to shoot” she said. It did fleetingly cross my mind to go and get an indestructible Pocket Predator for her to shoot but she was already pulling back the Theraband on my first homemade. Oh well, what harm could be done. “Make sure you at least hit the catch box” I said. The pouch was released...... the steel ball dropped at her feet....silence... then laughter. “It fell out of the pouch – I’ll have another go” she said. Same again, ball dropped at her feet, more laughter. Apparently, I was putting her off by watching her, so I didn’t watch the next shot which actually rolled about 6 feet in front of her this time. “No more”, I said and took the slingshot back off her. After checking out the slingshot the picture shows the damage she had done to it (good grouping though !!) I really didn’t know whether to laugh or cry....my first homemade and all she could say was “well, you can always make another one” between her howls of laughter.

The moral of the story is...
    If there is a wife in your life and she wants to be one of the boys,
    Make sure she plays with the indestructible toys !!

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

A good wife of a good man will always assume that said good man can fix anything she breaks.

-Wild Bill

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Genetics

Hug her!

she did her best?!

Be

btw- that wood is not beech or birch!
    destroying the fork may save an eye.

cherchez la femme!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

*waves* Hello! I AM the wife and I am the only one in this house that owns a slingshot, is attempting to make one, and the only one that has built a catchbox so far (I have a husband and two little boys). :)
    Some of us ladies can keep up with the boys. ;)
    Give her credit for trying, some wouldn't have even touched the slingshot. I have attempted to talk to the few females I know about slingshots and all I get a weird looks and a drawn out "okay."

5. WildBill

Welcome to a man's world.

-Wild Bill

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

My wife has yet to pick up one of my slingshots (which she is welcome to do), but I can tell you from experience that she is as good or better shot than me when it comes to shooting guns. She's got a Ruger SP-101 revolver that she is quite accurate with. She does prefer only to shoot .38's, but this one is chambered for .357 magnum. I've told her more than once that if someone breaks into our house I'm sending her out while I call 911 :D

7. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I have a theory, females has more developed intuition than we, the males, so I believe that with the appropriate directions and practice women should shoot very well, specially the PFS's which is the most intuitive and finesse demanding style ... the problem is I failed to convince my wife to learn the PFS to confirm this theory lol !
    Cheers

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Slingshots take a bit more power than my wife can handle, even my lighter ones. Although she has managed to hit a can or 2. However when she saw my blowgun and wanted to try I thought no way she can hurt it. Well she didn't hurt anything but the target. At about 15' she put 3 rounds smack dead in the middle of the bulls eye. All 3 cones were touching and you could have covered all 3 entry holes with a dime with change left over.

Most of my slings are pvc, or metal and epoxy, so not much chance of her hurting one of them no matter how she tries.

9. WildBill

I do empathize with you, Arturo. Personally, the Lord chose to give to me the most perfect and beautiful wife that has ever graced this earth. To wit- I refuse to treat her as an equal because I cringe at the thought of her stooping down to my level.

Not long after I got home, I was toying with the idea of making a 'catchbox' out of a laundry drying stand, and I had my slingshots out. She was curious, so I showed her how to hold and shoot my natural Moorhammer, my spalted Ash and also the slingshot that I was given by Rulz1523 in the trade. She humoured me and did hold them, but would not draw them far enough to even fully stretch the rubber. The whole concept of shooting a weapon like this was so alien to her that she just handed them back, smiled and kissed me saying, "I love what you do." Wow, what a woman!

Mind you, my wife speaks 12 languages... fluently... and is the fiercest defender of Christian principles you will ever meet. She is ferocious when challenged intellectually and can out-think most people, slaying their ego as she states truth with absolute strength and conviction. And she is mine. Oh, my God, how I love her...

-Wild Bill

10. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

wow ! that's a woman ! you are blessed friend !

11. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

I have a bit of experience (understatement!) in the counseling biz and your wife is what we call an enabler. She just gave you all the reasons in
    the world (and her blessing!) to make a truckload of slingshots -- which you’re going to need for when she tries to do some more shooting.

So… Now… Just what was your problem, again? Be happy, friend! You’re one of the lucky ones!

P.S: You’re both lucky she nailed your slingshot and not her thumb or hand. I doubt you’d ever hear the end of it if that had happened!

12. slingashot

Hey, I never said I had a problem, I just thought it was funny, so posted it on here for a laugh.
    I have been one of the lucky ones since the day I got married (24 years). We have had plenty of fun and laughter along the way and I still love her to bits.

13. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'm not married or anything but it has been my experience that guys are much better shots than women. Granted this could have a lot to do with the very small number of women I have encountered who had any interest in shooting anything whatsoever

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What a confession!

You are blessed!

Be blessed.

15. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Not much to add here but OUCH on the frame and sweet Graces it was not her hand or an RTS! Give the frame boo~boo a kiss cause it looks still shootable and now holds fond and sentimental memories you two made together. Give her lots of love n kissin' for being what sounds to be your soul mate! On a last note, BUILD HER ONE OF HER OWN in whatever style it was that she shot as a kid! She showed interest~be the rubber and rebound on it. Find out what she liked back then subtly and build her a surprise. Maybe she'll melt...

16. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Your wife wants to shoot a slingshot, thats a good thing no matter what! :)

My other half likes the slingshots but won't shoot them. She has been looking at bows online though and thinks rifle target shooting looks 'relaxing and addictive' so when the weather gets better Ill get her hooked!

17. slingashot

That's a really good idea, only problem is I have asked her about the slingshot she used as a child and she can't remember if it was a bought one or a made one (amazing what age does to the memory !!). All she can remember is "that it had a handle with 2 sticks on the top with some sort of rubber attached to it and I held it upright" The way she held her hand was in the hammer grip !! So, with the info I have I think I can near enough replicate the sort of slingshot she remembers. Been waiting for an excuse to make my first natural, even it will be a little one to fit her hand.

18. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Well sir, I would certainly think that by looking at the work you have shown us so far that you will easily trump the old shooter she faintly remembers from her youth! If she says the rubber was red in color, it was probably strips of old red rubber inner tube. Most of us nowadays will never even get to see a dry rotten specimen of that old favorite back then. If it was more like standard rubber band color, maybe it was along the lines of what old Master Rufus Hussey would build and shock people with his skills! Search his videos on YouTube if you've never seen them! In one he shows how he ties one up, it's different than our common OTT... More like a true TTF vs. OTF like your Harpees. Hope this helps although it is still again different than Ruffus' style.. This I found in a tutorial by Nico I believe on the Rebel forum:

Attached Files:

19. slingashot

Thanks for that - that's just the kind of thing I had in my mind. Every time I am go out I am looking for just the right fork (harder than I thought it would be !!) I want to be as symmetrical as possible.
    Due to work commitments it might be after the new year before I get around to it but rest assured I will post it on here when it finished.