The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lord Of Crows
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, I spotted a deadwood fork along the trail and proceeded to rub the guck off the side that was lying on the ground... it was birch so I swiped off the half rotten bark including a few worms... the skyward side was clean and when I pulled off the outer papery bark I noticed the inner bark or phloem was rock hard due to spalting... I was concerned about the soft underside but it was a meaty enough fork to start out with and I got through the worst parts as I rasped down to the heartwood... accidentally I found this procedure for hardening the softer wood: shape and sand to 220grit, moisten the surface with water then microwave for 45sec, repeat a few times... so Mother Nature was again on my side with this one... it started out as a worm-eaten gutter stick... and now a mighty WARHORN!

I did botch the poly coat job but honestly I don't have the patience to care that much... however I'll try harder on future ones... I think I do have the knack for finding good pieces and knowing how to shape what is given but as far as finishing skills go I'm miles away from mastering that art... my art should always have a few dissonant notes in it anyway... it suits me... Furthermore, I got to use my new "LORD OF CROWS" ss maker's mark for the first time and I'm satisfied with the result. :D

Attachments

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
Sweet piece of forked wood. Like the shape and how the darkened bark contrasts with the light wood.

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
Lovely work man. The two tone forks are awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts