War Stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Jan 4, 2014.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'd be willing to wager that there's more than a few war veterans on this forum. Not only from the US- Vietnam, Gulf War, Grenada, Iraq and Afghanistan, but also y'all from everywhere else- Falklands, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Somalia, etc. If not you personally, you may have a family member with a good war story- some going back even further. So, do you have a war story to tell?

-Wild Bill

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I was born in a guardshouse on a military base, thats the extent of my war stories! My Dad was a sniper in the Irish guards and ended his army career on guard outside Buckingham Palace wearing a Bearskin hence my odd place of birth.

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

My grandpa (the one I saw dying) was a sniper, too.
    He returned from Siberia, having also the malaria disease,
    because he got hit in his shoulder (lying on the ground as a
    sniper, that is pretty bad.. After he was repaired, he should
    go right back.
    Knowing this was the order of a mental Austrian, Mr. Schicklgruber,
    and that this whole 1000-year-arian-bullshiat would be ended soon,
    he fled an hid in a barn in Frankonia.
    The barn was owned by a farmer who´s daughter gave birth to my
    mother..

What can I say: Good grandpa was a smart guy- otherwise I wouldn´t exist.

The other grandpa was the only one that brought his "Zug" (Platoon)
    back home (the only one from his at least whole company)..
    But his soul died in Russia.. that young man standing beside him being
    blown to pieces, and various other nice episodes left him shattered, drinking and unable to hug his six children..

War sucks! IMHO- seeing enough of the red juice, the screams and all
    that dying is a little too much for our minds.

The price of that slaughter is at least paid by the next two generations
    after the fighters...

the pursuit of happiness is in our genes, not only empty words

Be (kind)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. Schultz

Schultz New Member

My great-grandpa take back horses that were at the end of their forces from Russia and bring healthy horses to the front, and on the End of the second World war he fight in Russia and was run over by a tank...
    Near to my Village lay also Espelkamp what was in the 2WW a ammunition factory and after the War the Biggest refugee city in Germany so that many Bombs fly to my Village, but they only plowed the fields and never hurt Espelkamp what lay under camouflage nets.
    One Village away some Guys also try to defend their Village and all old houses get destroy by Tanks.
    And in Rahden that lay 15 minutes away, 2 Tigertanks fight again the Allies, for that the Train not had enough space to carry them to the front, so that there also many old Houses get Destroy...
    I have also hear from my Grandpa that 2 Days after the Allies come through my Village a SS motorcycle spotter come from Lübbecke what don´t get attack because they want it as Headquarter and he shot a old guy that has hang out a White Flag because he cant hear properly and don´t realize when the Allies Tanks come.
    And the forrest by my Village get one Day later surrounded from the Allies because they thought that there are German Soldiers inside but there are nobody.
    So I agree with BM, War sucks! and the Reasons for War are mostly Money and Might from the Leaders, and have not much to do with the People how live in the Countrys... But they are the Guys how Pay with her Blood...

5. Schultz

Schultz New Member

And what should a good warstory over Iraq or Afgahnistan be?
    When I look what there happend today, I think it where better when they never get attack. A good Example is Syria, for the first Assad is the bad guy so that the Rebells get many Weapons and today you realize that the Rebels are out of Control and now is Assad again the good Guy or?
    Or Iraq where the Weapons for that you get into the War never get found. I think we get only into the War to get Oil and Might... And there are to many lies about other Lands so that I don´t listen anymore what our Politics say.
    When our priests have never called for the Crusades it gave today also not this Holy War. 1000 Years before, it was for all Cultures allowed to pray in Jerusalem and then come our Priest that call for the Crusades...

6. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

My mothers father was as a young boy, about 16, with the Kriegsmarine in WW2, first on a Minelayer Vessel then on a Minesweeper Vessel. They were often shot at but luckily they never got a major hit and sank. He was never wounded, but he said some of the sailors he knew were like minced meat after such attacks, nothing left than reddish goo with parts of bone in a uniform.

One time a submarine launched three tropedos at the vessel, one too far before the bow, one too far behind the stern and one just under the keel....all misses....thanks to his captain.

He was one of the lucky ones.

All I know about my fathers father is that he was at the eastern front as a soldier, wounded by a grenade. As a child I saw a x-ray from his hip when he was in the hospital....I asked my mother (a nurse) what the tiny white spots in his bones where....fragments of that grenade, embedded in his bone structure. He never wanted to talk about this part of his life.

I guess he was not as lucky as my mothers father.

But I agree with Be and Schultz: War Sucks!!

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow guys...these stories are very moving. It is a pity that the horrors of war still exist today. It is one of those things that should have been swept away in the tide of progress.
    I remember stories from my great-grandfather who fought in the first world war. He lost a lung due to chlorine gas shells and I remember him describing how he coughed it up in pieces:eek:
    He was an interesting man who never, ever held a grudge. After all, he married a German girl shortly after he recovered:D
    Smart man!

8. This is not a subject I personally feel comfortable speaking of but thank the rest of you for sharing.

9. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I fought in the Gulf War myself, and I do have some stories that I'd rather not share on a public forum. However, some funny stuff also happened...

After several weeks patrolling in the Gulf, we were given a couple of days of R&R in Abu Dhabi, in the UAE. We were required to be paired up at all times, and also NOT to be in uniform.

I was paired with, 'Gunny Long'. Mike Long was a gunner's mate in our division, and about as opposite to myself as you can get. Me, I'm a little guy, and my civilian clothes were pretty consistent with the 'business casual' attire of the early '90's- loafers, short sleeve dress shirt, slacks and such. Gunny Long was a corn-fed boy from Oklahoma. He stood five-feet forty, weighed more than a gorilla, and dressed in jeans, lizard-skin boots, plaid flannel shirt, ten-gallon hat, a big, wide leather belt with a huge belt buckle... A massive eagle was on the buckle and I swear that if you said, 'Navy' the wings would flap... yeah, I got paired with him.

So we were strolling down a street when we came to a souk- which is an outdoor market of sorts where street vendors with their tents and wagons sold their wares. One of them was selling Arabian headwear, and we both were attracted to his little hovel of a shop. Once the proprietor noticed us, he became quite animated.

"Ah, my American friends, I have EXTRA special hat for you! You wait, I get for you!!!"

The little dude disappeared for a bit in his hovel and a few minutes later emerged with two very beautiful pieces of headwear. Each had a small, tatted yarmulke that went over the scalp, and then a pure white, flowing silk headpiece that was affixed with black, braided cords- and the cords had golden thread woven into them. The proprietor helped us don them, since we didn't know how, and, after we paid the man the pittance he asked for, we went on our way, wearing the Arabian headpieces.

As we walked, we noticed that some people were looking at us rather strangely. Some looked amused, while others looked like they wanted to find their weapons. Women and children ran the other way as we walked. For almost two hours this went on, and even Gunny was feeling a bit uneasy. Finally, a man walked up to us, laughing as he approached.

"Hahahahaha! Very good American joke! Very good American joke!"

Mike and I looked at each other and then at the man. I said, "Um, yeah. What's the joke?"

"Oh, my American friends, you are wearing the colors of Iraq!"

We had no idea that the colors on your head were a sign of patronage! Mike and I both threw them off, and headed back to the souk to find the little bastard that sold them to us- and Gunny Long had blood in his eyes just as I did. When we got to where his 'shop' was, both he and his whole set-up were gone. Pity.

-Wild Bill

10. BeMahoney

That´s what Herbert Grönemeyer meant when he wrote the words:

"Weil er wärmt, wenn er erzählt!" (the "Mensch"song)

Listening to this kind of telling warms the soul :)

Thank you for this story.

Be

11. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Seems wars are a disgrace of human beings from early history, my German and French ancestry came to Chile in mid 19 century running away from the Germany unification wars leaded by Bismark, many immigrants here the same during WWI and WWII, my father was a commercial aviator and after WWII some RAF and Luftwaffe young pilots fled here to escape the horrors left by the war, most of them orphans who lost their families and homes. The Chilean pilots managed to mediate the Brits and the Germans to cure the rage, after some years they become good friends, I remember when I was a kid Germans and Brits with their sons in my dad home sharing war stories, the morale of those stories for us (the kids) was "you must ALWAYS avoid by all means a war" ... unfortunately during the 70's in south america we suffered a series of dictatorship regimes who carried out the "dirty war" who was a merciless hunting of "marxists", "terrorists" or whatever the tyrants choose to call, 17 years with curfew, 3000 missing here, 30000 in missing Argentina, more than 100000 tortured, near a million expelled to exile ... this wounds are still open, every family has an horror story from a relative or friend ... it's easy to start a war and we never know when and how this evilness ends ...
    cheers

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

I can't tell you a funny story about war. My father never has spoken about his youth at this time. He only said one time,that he's happy to forget this time. My mother told me some stories about the days and long nights inside a bunker. It wasn't a great time for both.
    And the second world war is still present. Last week a British airmine exploded in Euskirchen (Town in Germany). A excavator driver died. Last year there was an explosion in Hattingen.

13. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

my father or grandpa doesnt have any good stories aout the war, the only thing i know is that he had to go to the army to train for if there would com a war against holland. He told me he was a korporal! he shot uzi's and one time he shot an anti-aircraft. those are the only things i know about the war!
    greetings,
    Paul
    Btw: how do you post a new thread?

14. BeMahoney

Go to "Forum", pick a matching category, like e.g: Show off your homemades!,
    hit the "new Thread" button, chose a title, write and then submit..

Greetings,

Be

15. I will post my war story since so many others have, it's short and the happiest I can muster. I survived...

16. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That is the greatest achievment any of us can make each and every day.

17. That it is, wish more of my friends were here to say they had accomplished it...

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting thread. I completely missed this when it first came up and came across it by accident today. I did not serve in the military, though I came very close to signing as a senior in high school. If I had, I would have landed in the first Gulf War as some of my friends did. But 3 generations before me - my father, grand-father and great-grandfather are all veterans of Vietnam, WWII and WWI respectively. According to our family history records, we also have relatives that served in the Civil War (the "War of Northern Aggression" as Bill would call it) and the American Revolution. I have a very high level of respect for those that serve in the military and are willing to put their lives on the line for others (same for police, firemen, etc.). They are the ones that serve, they're not the ones that create the wars. I do hate war, but understand that some people in this world seem hell-bent on making it happen. I am proud to be a descendant of some very fine servicemen.

As for stories, my father has many of them. The most interesting ones usually involve a combination of a wild cat temper and too much alcohol on board the confined spaces of a naval vessel.

But one very interesting item of note is a relic I inherited from my Grandfather. He served in the Navy in the South Pacific in WWII. The carrier he was on was hit by a kamikaze that failed to do any serious damage. My grandfather, an electrician on the ship, gathered up some materials from the wreckage and went to the machine shop where he turned out a knife made from those parts. The handle is made from the Plexiglas of the canopy. It's a bit rough in its craftsmanship, but it is by far one of the most unique knives I dare say exists out there. It is one of the only things I have from him and it is a very special reminder of what he went through.

19. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I still have the FMJ that hit my grandfather...

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I hope he survived that shot?