Varnishes

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by MBoy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MBoy

MBoy New Member

Hi guys I'm a new maker and want to know if you need to varnish natural slingshots. Hope you can help out, cheers!

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

You can varnish or laquer but dont need too. The most popular option is to oil them. Linseed, Teak or even vegtable oils are all suitable.

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

A really great look is linseed oil then paste wax.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Both good answers. I'm a fan of using poly on my slingshots, but it's nothing more than personal preference. There are some finishes that mix oils and poly together such as Tung oil or a favorite of BeMahoney here on the forum, Le Tonkinois, so you get both in a single product. I've also got a product that is a mix of beeswax and orange oil that I have yet to finish a slingshot with, but on some test pieces of wood, makes for a nice finish.

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've been using just oils so far for my naturals, but I've used Xylene in the past and I intend to try it soon. I have furniture in the house 12+ years old that I finished with Xylene and it still looks shiny new- even with 4 cats.

-Wild Bill

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Beeswax and orange oil, serious? PM me details please! I have issues with odors giving me headache(solvents in the paste wax) but beeswax has no smell and I love orange oil's aroma.

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Withak,

my friend! What is "Poly"? in the end? If it is a polyester resin coating, my favorite Le Tonkinois has got nothing to do with that!- Its double boiled
    linseed oil wit tung oil..
    And it´so interesting to me because if mixed with "Gelomat" (1/1), the
    result is a super-matte oil coating which is "bulletproof" against
    moisture..

just look at the sling I posted in the "Rascal" thread, to me this coating
    just does it!- max. protection with max. remaining wood haptics!

Greetings,

Le Be

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, PM'd you Dolo, but I'll post a link here anyway as well. It's called Howards Feed N Wax - a mix of beeswax, carnuba wax and orange oil. It smells really nice, but does contain a petroleum product, just FYI.

http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php

Le Be - my apologies! I have slandered the good name of Le Tonkinois! When I say poly, I mean polyurethane, which is NOT in LeT. According to the website (US) it is a varnish oil made with tung and linseed oil. Allow me to stand corrected good sir ;) There was another product I was thinking of that combined polyurethane (poly) with oil.

9. MBoy

MBoy New Member

Thanks mate realy helpfull!

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

that one makes my day, so far, just stopped laughing!

And thank you very much for the link you posted- that one looks really
    interesting! BTW,I bought some epoxi (3kg) the other day :) and some interesting heavy paper!- Where will this all lead to?..

Best wishes to Oregon, my friend!

Be

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I know where you're going with that - can't wait to see the results! Glad I could make you laugh :) Greetings back to Germany!

12. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I poly coat mine with 3 coats then another coat of mine ax poly

13. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

The orange oil + beeswax looks like a great product. I had a friend turn me onto walnut oil + beeswax years ago. Basically just heat up some beeswax to liquid, add equal quantity of walnut oil. It ends up being a kind of a waxy paste. Rub it in (I often use a bit of heat to help it penetrate) It dries to a naturally hard protective finish.

14. MBoy

MBoy New Member

Same to you, good luck :)