Unknown hardwood and Jarrah Knife handle

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Obl1v1Aus, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

A project I finished a week ago and haven't had a chance to get a decent photo of yet.
    I got the blank for this knife off of eBay with another one i finished a little while ago now.

The main part of the handle came from an old drawer face that I salvaged from a broken desk. No Idea what it is, but its quite hard, it wasn't wide enough to make a decent handle so I glued on some jarrah scrap I had and shaped from there.

The handle isn't a conventional shape but it is still quite comfortable, but the knife wont see any use as it's too big to be practical ( at least for me).

Sorry about the picture orientation, the photobucket app on my phone doesn't pick up that Ive edited the images to be the right way up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Stunning work, cool blade!

3. slingshot600

slingshot600 New Member

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I can safely say it's not bamboo, the desk that this drawer front came from is an old teachers desk about 40 years old or so.
    It's more than likely an Australian hardwood, as all the old furniture and most of the framework at the school I work are made of Aussie timber.
    It could be tasmanian oak, or another hardy eucalyptus in the same family

5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I'm voting for oak. It's nice whatever it is!

6. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I was thinking Oak as well.

Very nice looking knife.

That Damascus steel is really pretty.

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Beautiful work. I like the handle shape, and the nice damascus pattern.

All the mystery wood in my shop makes me wish for a tricorder from Star Trek--just drop some sawdust in the slot, and DING! " This DNA is from _____."

Forgive my daydreaming in your thread.

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

If only that were possible, we need to get someone on this!

9. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

This is gorgeous, I need to get one of you guys on here to make me a knife. I swear a drool a little every time I see one!

10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

WOW, really nice looking! Great work!

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Achso.
    This is my first hidden tang knife handle I've made (and only my second knife handle) it was a lot harder to do than I originally anticipated.

Thanks Bushmaster & Buckshot, I'm thinking its Tasmanian Oak (which isn't actually Oak but eucalyptus). regardless its bloody hard to work, took a fair while to rasp out the rough shape.

Thanks AS, I'm like that too.
    I love to collect knifes, but getting them into the country (or out of) is a hard process (import permits and weeks of chasing up).

Thanks FIAAO!

After completing this project I have gained a massive amount of respect for real knife makers, the effort they put in to their products exceeds what I put in to mine by miles and it shows.

this project was much more difficult than I originally thought, but I love a challenge and I love to learn new skills and techniques, I definitley learned a lot during this project.

A big thankyou to everyone on here who has shown their work (knives and slingshots alike) and given me that desire to become a better craftsman!

12. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

The large part of the handle looks like Madagascar mahogany. That was a popular wood for furniture from the '50's through to the early 90's. It looks much like oak but yet has a tightness of grain that oak lacks- and also is far more blonde than typical mahogany. Anywho, that's a sweet lookin' blade!

-Wild Bill

14. Warsong

Warsong New Member

Beautiful blade! As for the handle shape? Looks interesting enough to be put on display, so I'm glad you did! Looks about the right shape to be a carving/whittling handle.