Unique hammerhead slingshot

Discussion in 'One of a kind' started by RamboX, Jan 27, 2014.

1. RamboX

RamboX New Member

Мain materials that are used for the assembly of this unique hammerhead slingshot are hawthorn and poplar. At the bottom of the handle is used piece of cherry. Each piece of wood is without any defects, cracks, crevices. The top layer of the grip as usual is part of the unique style of making almost all of my handles with the special tool. In the process of design each new model of mine I accurately calculate the angle at which the fork tilt. It is designed so not to get shock from the band over your hand after shooting no matters of the style, size and weight of the bands as the size and weight of the ball. Hand painted with shellac on 20 layers.

Attached Files:

2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Very nice colours, are the tips just painted black or are they diff wood glued ? The curve on the fork is spotless!

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I really like that rough pattern for the middle fingers! Would you care to explain how that is achieved, exactly? You say you have a "special tool" - what kind of tool is that?

Of course if you want to keep it secret, I understand. But I am very curious.

4. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I believe that roughing or texturing is known as "Stippling". For metal it can be put into the metal with a hammer and pin punch or even a pointed hammer and judicially placed hits. Not sure how this can be done to wood without weakening it or to chance splitting.

This look can also be achieved with a spray on product called bedliner.

RamboX that is one beautiful slingshot! I love the way the fork section looks like an aircraft wing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I heard of wood placed in sand, then heated to ~200°C...

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

If it is stippling I have the tool that can do that (although my attempts are not this good!) if its something different and a trade secret then Im curious too!

Very good looking slingshot, nice work. Good luck with the sale too :)

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Very cool. I especially like the fork tips, they're immaculate

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've seen stippling of this quality done on polymer pistol grips (such as Glocks) using nothing more than a pencil tip on a wood burner. I'm wondering if something like that is being used here. I like the style of your slingshot, particularly how you shaped the fork tips. Nice work.

9. RamboX

RamboX New Member

the tips are just colored. I have never use glue in this part of the fork because it's too dangerous.

10. RamboX

RamboX New Member

Hi Jorge. It's a great pleasure that man like you with such a huge experience appreciate my work in such good manner. It's more than a compliment for me. I have learned many things from you and I follow your threads and video with big interest. Unfrotunately I can't make you happy answering your quastion about the tool. It is an authoring work and achiving this kind of grip is a sequence of treatmen over the wood which aim to prepare it first and after its finished to have a hard top layer. This prevent the wood from degradation because of the swet after hanging the grip time after time. As I wrote in one of my threads before - the grips for all of my slings is prepared by another man, not by me and he is not agree to share his technology although I asked him many times. I also offered him to take a video but he said - defenetly no.
    Thanks once again. If you have any more quastions I'm at your disposal.

11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

It is so beautiful from every angle. Thanks for the many pictures. I would love to just hold it!

12. JohnKrakatoa

since I bought one of Rambos precise slingshots, I can tell you it feels great in the hand. Unslipabble AND comfortable.

13. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Very nice. The color and texture is awesome.

14. derek17

derek17 New Member

How do I go about buying one if your slingshots

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

15. JohnKrakatoa

Click on his username left to one of his posts and click on "send private message" in the drop down menu. Then write him in the message what slingshot you would like, hell respond with price or availability.

thats how i did it.

16. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Your slings have a trademark look. I really like the ergonomics you carve into them, and your fine sense of symmetry.

That looks like bed liner to me too. I got some in a small tin for rolling onto the steel toes of my work boots.
    If it is bedliner, no doubt if it left your hand, your palm-skin would still be attached to it!

Whatever your friend is using, the results look very nice. Great work by both of you.

17. RamboX

RamboX New Member

Thanks for your positive comment, man. From what you have write down, and I suppose you haven't seen any of my slings at real, I can say you have a good eye for this kind of work. You have a strongly developed sence of estetic and from what you have said it doesn't sound like a compliment but like e real meaning. Thank you once again.
    cheers

18. RamboX

RamboX New Member

After you are interested in my work I take this as a positive comment and I appreciate it. I'll be pleased to show you all of my slings and you can see them here: http://slingshotforum.com/gallery/member/3270-rambox/
    If you like the fine carved work and appreciate the high accurately I can tell you this: you can achive that only if you hold the handle exactly the same way every time you shoot, becuase the handle compared to the fork is curved on x, y and z on specific degree.
    So here is what I recommend to you
    the Art one:
    http://slingshotforum.com/gallery/album/1270-new-hammerhead-art-design/
    or here for maximum power the V-design:
    http://slingshotforum.com/gallery/album/1099-new-hammerhead-design-slingshot/
    The maximum power or high velocity is possible because of the position of the fork which is carried far foreword. This gives 4cm more draw lenght than the standart for.
    That's all man. Thanks for watching.
    cheers

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  19. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

RamboX,

I showed a picture of this slingshot to a friend of mine a few days ago and asked him if he knew how the grip was done. He told me that he was pretty sure but wanted to check first.

According to my associate, it is done with a large-grain sand blaster. The areas of the fork that are not to be stippled are covered with a protecting adhesive 'paper' and then the rest is sandblasted until the desired texture is achieved. The depth and amount of stipple are determined by both the pressure and the size of the sand grains used.

-Wild Bill