Ugly Metal Mummy

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by mvd, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Did this 'thing' two days ago.

As all the tools are broken or dull (very old stuff + low budget) I screwed this together with the things I found: half a pipe socket, the handle of a faucet, a bolt and a nut; wrapped in a textile strap.

Courious thing is, that it shoots really well......it's ungly though :D

Attached Files:

2. fiskey81

fiskey81 Junior Member

nice i think its pretty cool looking, bet it shoots like a champ

3. Ugly?

Great recycling!

Good job!

Joe

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

great recycling!

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Apocalypse style-- the hidden beauty inside of brutal unpolished function.

I think it looks great.

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Thats what I was going to say. Mad max style. Taugh. Brute. Strong.
    Maybe it needs more wrapping on the handle.
    Thumbs up!

7. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

okay, didn't expected that :eek: Thank you all for your kind words.

I actually tried several wrapping methods with the textile straps (got 6 in various lengths here) but I have not found one that is extraordinary comfortable to hold.

For comparison, without any wrapping (forgot to mention the second bolt, looks a bit like a trigger):

EDIT: Just as I looked at the picture, the end of the 'main' bolt looks like something has to be screwed onto it....Handguard, stabilizer... any suggestions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice job on taking old parts and giving them new life! This is every bit as artistic as carving on from wood.
    As for the bolt, if you screw a rod straight on to it and extend it forward, it will protect you from hand slaps. But I agree, it does look sort of lonely like it is! :)
    Wrapping the handle in paracord would look great too

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I think using the front bold to protect the hand is a great idea. You can' t use it for a stabilizer it will only add weight to you fork which is heavier then a "normal" slingshot. I think using the end of the handle to stabilize the whole slingshot( with hand protect) by adding weight would be more appropriate. Apparently you got enough creativity to find a way to do it.
    I completly agree with the apocalipse mad max style, the recycling idea. Not uggly at all and if you don' t like it as it is, it' s up to you to make it pretty. When i saw it a lot of ideas flew through my head [​IMG]
    Thanks for the inspiration mate [​IMG]

10. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

My pleasure to be of service :-D . That's the second of my creations which caused a flash of wit :eek:.

After all this kind words I see it different now. When I said I think it's ugly, I compared it to those fine pieces of art (your DAC for instance) which require a very large amount of time, patience and work.
    It merely took my 20 minutes to build this, with 15 minutes of restless search for parts in the cellar.

11. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

If you like that you'll love my current project.

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

If i had to start a project based on your idea i' ll add 1 week to those 35 min because i think it would be nice mixed with wood[​IMG]

13. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

The 15 mins where part of the 20 mins ;-) 15 min search, 5 min assembly

I would love to work with wood, but as said, no rasp no file and no saw.
    But got 2 nice lilac forks drying, I hope I can shape them when the time is right.

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Can' t wait to see it and, maybe, steal you idea...[​IMG]

15. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

It's a sword. Muhahahah.

16. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

X2

17. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Here in Brasil there is something based on epoxy that looks like clay, or that toy called playdooh. Comes in two parts, one gray, the other white, and you mix it squeezing wiyh the hands. It becomes hard and strong in one hour. Called "durepoxy". If you have something similar in your country, you could put around the grip, shape it to fit well in your palm an even wrap it too.
    Would become nice!

18. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

never heard of that stuff (it sounds awesome though) but an aequivalent to that would be Fimo, formable by hand but once baked at 110°C hard as a rock. Never used it might be worth a try in a future project? *cough* ironspike *cough*

19. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Very good recycling, but is the wrapping-thing from old tension-belts?
    Just because they're kind of toxic, covered with diesel-grime(causing skin cancer:eek:)

20. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

:-D I am actually laughting, no they are a type of "internal" belt for fasting around the waist and two smaller ones from the legs from two old ripped pants of mine. Thought they may would come in handy some day.