Tubes vs flatbands - The question asked a million times

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by BraveSirWobin, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BraveSirWobin

BraveSirWobin New Member

So my single 25-20 tapered TBG flatband broke the other day, and while making a new one i thougth of all the benefits tubes has over flatbands - cheaper, way easier to make, and should last longer.

So ofcourse now i'm considering swithcing, and made a single 1842 tubeset. (Some cheap tubes from a chinese app)

My initial thought are that the power doesn't really differ that much.
    What i mean is, what is the difference in speed and power? Anyone got some chrony comparison, or other general insigths

Anyone got some good insight here? I kinda wanna figure out what i wanna shoot, so i can git gud with one thing.

(Shooting 10 mm steel, approx 95 cm drawlength. bandlength is 15 cm for TBG, 15.5 for tube)

Cheers

Ukprelude likes this.
  2. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I love tubes mainly because they last forever. Less likely to tear on zips etc. If you use looped tubes they can be changed in seconds. They are relatively quiet and band slaps are nonexistent if you use dankung style prongs. They don’t flap in the wind.

Drawbacks? Draw weight to speed and power ratio is high.

Ukprelude likes this.

3. Covert5

Covert5 New Member

I just went from bands to tubes and I love tubes. I agree with Jim on everything. I shoot single 1842 and the power is good, but if you go looped the power is awesome and you should not have a problem going through a soup can.

Ukprelude likes this.
  4. TatManDan85

TatManDan85 Member

I shoot looped 1842 and 2040 or single 1745 and 2050 when I use tubes. Preference for looped is 2040 and 2050 single.

5. Shadowfox

Shadowfox New Member

Must be the mass market produced choobs I’ve met in the past then! Sub question time, anyone trie the Saunders Stryker flatlands and if so are they worth their salt?

6. Brian Cuyle

Brian Cuyle Member

If you are referring to Dankung tubes from the Chinese app, they are pretty good rubber. Far better than any other tube I have tried. I just ordered some 2052 from Dankung and am excited. Their red 1632 tubes are pretty neat too. In a looped set (doubled) they zing small to medium ammo 240ish fps. They last too.

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, the only problem is that tubes are lame in comparison. Here is my chart.
    upload_2018-4-13_13-37-50.png

If you cut TBG in an untapered fashion, it lasts as long as the tubes - but the performance (at the same draw weight) is loads better than with any one of the tubes I tested.

Shadowfox likes this.
  8. Shadowfox

Shadowfox New Member

have any charts on the other theraband colours? i keep seeing volk here and there say black is faster than gold or silver so if you double black you get the same pull weight as gold {single} but faster bands! but that aside oooh where can i get the latex you were using?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM
  9. Shadowfox

Shadowfox New Member

also joergS all those comparisons have tubes shorter than the bands which isnt fair really! especially if we are talking single choobs when compared to doubled tbg

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Those are the exact bands that we offer in the shop. Tubes are usually kept shorter because of the Chinese shooting style, whereas flat bands are often shot semi butterfly. But also tubes won't really achieve 70 m/s plus no matter how long they are. That is just their max. retraction speed.

11. Shadowfox

Shadowfox New Member

how about the latex do you sell that in the store? though i think natural latex is not as durable right?

12. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

It’s always going to be swings and roundabouts:
    Light draw
    High speed
    Power to shift large heavy ammo
    Durability
    Predictability
    Ease of bandset production
    Expense
    Availability.
    8 variables, some of which matter more or less to each person. What’s your requirement and find the closest match For instance durability comes pretty high for me. I am not going to use latex as my go to first choice. It’s nice to shoot but only as a Sunday treat

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I do most of my shooting with double layered 30 mm straight cut bands, 35 cm long. My max draw length in full butterfly is 160 cm, therefore the bands are never stretched more than factor 4,5. They last really really long on my TTF slingshot with padded front shield. Thousands of shots really. A little more than 50 Joule with 20mm steel.

I use Dankung tubes for many of my crossbow style contraptions. Easier and the performance does not matter so much. On a crossbow, you can always use some more strands.

14. Shadowfox

Shadowfox New Member

Tried full butterfly, whacked 1 knuckle disabling hand so thought I’d use the other hand instead since I clearly needed the practice and ended up walking about for a couple ow weeks with a pair of matching big angry welts with splits in them! Bigger frame before I even consider that style ever ever ever again.

15. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Ouch.
    Before you try full butterfly again, try extending the pouch just a bit past your usual anchor point. But keep the bands and frame in usual alignment.
    Also. Silver foil balls. Not steel glass lead or rock ammo.
    Film yourself and check in a large mirror.

When you gain confidence extend a bit more. Starting from your usual anchor each time.

16. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

055911BA-684F-4903-95A6-1DA4A92B5B6D.jpeg Keep the bands symmetrical

Knallfrosch likes this.
  17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I always encourage people to use 16mm paintballs, really weak bands and relatively large, soft pouches for learning the butterfly stance.

18. Shadowfox

Shadowfox New Member

To be fair I did actually watch a video on how to shoot before I tried! So I was applying some technique it’s just the frame a was using was quite small and 1 arm damaged from a misfire, it wasn’t nearly as big as Jimrhodos is wielding in pic.

19. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That is a brass or bronze Moorhammer. It is the smallest full blown hammer grip slingshot I ever designed. The fork is as low as you can get. Still my best design I think, but only for practiced shooters. Newbies are usually too afraid to hit their hands, and often enough this causes mistakes.

20. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

there's nothing better than a natural with a big fork. you can even cut it shorter to match your progress ;-)

JimRhodo likes this.