Truly bummed...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sonnyboy204, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sonnyboy204

sonnyboy204 Target Misser

So I've been playing with slingshots for the better part of 2 years. Making my own mostly from natural forks, experimenting with rubber, ammo, you know the idea. Just playing essentially.

As part of the Christmas Slingshot Trade that happened in December I wanted to show off what I've learned. Alternatively I thought I would try to get my hands on a commercially made slingshot from Simple Shot. I was essentially expecting two slingshots to add to my collection.

The 'bummed' part of it all is that I won't be getting either of those slingshots. I didn't receive anything from my trade partner yet with no replies to private messages, I got advice on sending a letter to the mailing address but I don't want to be a bother. If he gets the slingshot I made then I hope he enjoys it, but I won't be pursuing the expected one on my end too hard. It was a Christmas gift after all. The other slingshot was the Scout from Simple Shot, luckily I won it in a giveaway on their FB page. Unluckily the item seems to have been lost in transit. So much for that one. It doesn't appear to be processed anywhere since it was shipped so I imagine it's sitting somewhere definitely not on its way to me.

So all in all I'm bummed. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth about the whole situation. I'm going to simply huddle in my little apartment making my own and not bothering with the on line community much any more. You know what they say about being fooled twice...

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

OK, first things first. Instead of being pissed at Tilia, maybe be concerned about his welfare a bit. We all know he is a survivalist and sometimes bad stuff happens out in the Bush. He's a straight shooter and I for one, am worried about him. Secondly, Nathan Masters is a stand up guy as well, if the scout don't show, I'd bet he'd have no qualms with replacing it. Did you even try to contact him? My slingy for BV hasn't gotten to him yet, may not ever get there. Was the best I've done but I ain't dwelling on it, life has rough spots and I choose to man up.

3. sonnyboy204

This is the first I've heard Tilia was in some sort of trouble. Is he missing? I know his account hasn't had any activity since I've been watching for his replies to my messages. Perhaps "we all" doesn't include me. Enlighten me there. He always seemed cool in our contact up till he stopped replying.

As for Nathan, I'm not sure I've been dealing with him directly since I've only been in contact with whoever runs their FB page. Whoever that is explicitly told me no replacement would happen due to it being a giveaway. A discount was offered to me to buy another one but I'm holding out on that until it expires in case the slingshot is on its way and I don't want to take advantage of Simple Shot in any way.

I did decide to just let it all slide but I can't help feeling a bit bummed by it. You can understand that can't you? I've seen your interactions with the other forum regulars so I know your a cool dude. I just thought this was a good place to show my grief considering it involved slingshots, a topic not many people would understand.

I didn't mean to offend anyone specifically. I just wanted to express my own feelings about it. No need to confront me about it.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Just seemed you were bagging on Tilia when no one knows what could be going on. I doubt highly he is screwing you over on purpose. You should bring the scout to Nathan's attention, he needs to know how his company is being represented. Sorry if I hurt any feelings, seemed like you were getting down on them.

5. Hrawk

Hrawk Hedonistic Decedance

Hey Sonny,

I totally understand that 'bummed feeling'.

However, it's a pretty hectic time of year still for pretty much all postal services. I send out several packages a week and though I'm not sure where you are, I still have several articles sent in early December awaiting delivery in Europe, US and Canada. Most of the ones with tracking information show arrived in country but still waiting for customs or somewhere en route.

As for Tilia and Nathan '40% on top' Masters, they are both outstanding members of the slingshot community and I seriously doubt they would stiff anyone on a deal or trade.

I know the last thing you want to hear from a nobody like me is 'be patient' but I'll say it anyway, be patient.

Good things come to those who wait.

6. sonnyboy204

@dolomite
    No worries, it's easy to get defensive for people like Tilia and Nathan Masters, I've always seen them as pretty stand up guys. The negative feelings are generally about not getting my slingshots. I plan on emailing Nathan but I think I've been bothering them enough. The FB person on Simple Shot's page has been answering my messages sporadically citing minimal FB presence as the issue so it makes the waiting that much harder. I doubt they stiffed me. I don't think its in them to do that haha.

@Hrawk
    Thanks for empathizing. Those shipping times match up to trade and the giveway (Not sure when Tilia sent mine, he never mentioned actually sending anything and the giveaway was sent November 26 according to the FB person.) Maybe your right and I should just wait it out. I was just so excited but then to not see anything come of it really got me down.

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

It is easy to empathize with you here. I agree too that Nathan will surely make right for you once he is aware of circumstances. As for Tilia, to me it's a bit scary... Being that he is into the "Backwoods" scene, any number of things can happen and it seems like he was often out with only his dog too... Let's all send some prayers abroad for him that he is safe and it is not a horrible tragedy! It may be that his phone was lost or computer broke and like many of us, is not in the position to replace it yet..? I'd even rather find out that he's doing a little jail time for being a "Backwoods Badass" than any harm has come to him! Seeing you have his mailing address, I too think that the letter to him idea is good plan and will possibly help alleviate some of your hard feelings if you keep it 'light hearted.' Like said earlier, he seemed to be a stand-up kind of guy so it is highly unlikely that he got your shooter and blew off sending yours along with abandoning the forum... Something has happened though...
    Most of all, don't let any of it sour your taste for the hobby or towards the Tribe here! Master Hrawk has truly given the best advice, use that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's always a risk when you decide to participate in these trades, but getting completely stiffed is pretty rare. I agree with the others, it is completely out of the norm for Tilia to go completely silent. Something may have happened to him, we just don't know yet. I don't see him as the kind of guy not to follow through on his word so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I know that Obl1v1Aus lost a slingshot to the customs folks - it happens.

I also agree with the others that you should try contacting Nathan directly before you write him off. He's been a good guy to deal with and I'd be surprised if he couldn't help you out.

9. sonnyboy204

So I took some advice from you guys and awaited a reply from Nathan at SimpleShot, after some back and forth messages Nathan has graciously decided to send me a replacement for the one that got lost/stolen/sucked into a black hole! In all of our conversations so far he has shown nothing but respect and eagerness to help me. I am glad you guys were right, this is much better news than I expected. Not so bummed anymore!

I strongly encourage you to shop at his store at Simple-Shot.com. The bands from there are perfectly cut and the kangaroo leather pouches are so nice. Can't wait to get my Scout!

Although, I'm still pretty worried about Tilia...
    I think I'll send that letter.

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I too am worried about tilia, it's been over a month without a word from him. I'm sure he'll come back sometime soon and remember to send the slingshot and find it hysterical that were all worrying about him

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That doesn't surprise me about Nathan at all. He seems like a really honest and standup type of guy. That's the kind of person I like to do business with.

12. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Yeah I was also wondering whats with Tilia... not posting since December. Hope all is well.

13. sonnyboy204

Yeah, my worry comes from his abrupt non-contact. Then I looked at his post history and it seemed even more abrupt than that. No warning at all. Just nothing.