Tru-oil versus "Peroba oil"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brazilviking, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Recently I've noticed that may pro slingshot makers are using the TRU-OIL, a product used for conservation and finishing gunstocks, mostly.
    I wanted to try it, but it is difficult to obtain it here.... Found one little bottle of 90 ml for about 30 dollars. Analizing the composition, we can see mineral and vegetal oils mixed with mineral and vegetal solvents.....
    There is a very tradional and an ancient product in Brazil, used for conservation of wooden furniture also being used to seal the wood. It exists since 1938....
    I'm testing it on some pieces with amazing results! I'm buying the tru-oil and the lineseed to make comparation....
    If anyone of the builders here want to test and colaborate with my little analizis, I'll be happy to send a bottle.(if the law allows that..... I need to check this on the mail...)
    Volunteers?

Attached Files:

2. Brazilviking

Sample...

Attached Files:

3. Brazilviking

About the composition.... It is very similar to the tru-oil, mineral and begetal oils and solvents, but the oils come from brazilian specific plants and rizinous (mamona)......

4. artons

artons New Member

i've just used oil, but i never tryed tru-oil.
    In italy is very diffused a kind of oil but i don't know his english name, we call it "olio paglierino"
    the results are pretty similar to the yours, as you can see from the photo

3.jpg

i discovered that is i kind of naural oil (sometimes synthetic) mixed with alkylbenzenes synthetic liquid denatured.
    however, i think that with a high sanding (1500-2000) and some wax layers the result is surely best. and i love how it smells :D

5. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

I´m not the wooden expert, but it looks realy good. The grain is coming out and it doesn`t look greasy.
    And you only have to pay, for what you need.

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

if i were as diligent as you in building artificial slingshots i would volunteer.

i have someone in mind who would be cool to colaborate with you. wonder if he will volunteer ...?

i just used ballistol and normal candle/beeswax for all kinds of things (blades, wood, leather). just to protect it, not for the looks.

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is a very worthy experiment!
    Tru-oil somehow slipped under my radar, which is funny because I have a few guns that could benefit from it. Very interesting!

8. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Great info Raul, if you are interested I would like to volunteer. I am always interested in new stuff!

9. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

hah! i knew it!

10. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Tru-oil is also expensive here, I wouldn't even consider buying it.
    Your oil finish has a nice colour but it's not very shiny like gunstocks. Tru-oil is for gunstocks right?

Cheers

11. Brazilviking

I'll PM you.

12. Brazilviking

This is oil only result, without any wax. Mostly shinning comes from wax and polishment!

13. Brazilviking

It is basicly the same composition....I think. Nice grain!!!

14. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I have sent a PM. I have been using Tru-Oil and really like it. It is so much easier than CA finishes and drys radically faster than polyurethane. Thank you for the offer! I gladly accept and will be sure to post the results.