trigger idea testing

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by quantum, Jan 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. quantum

quantum New Member

for the last few days i have been playing with and testing trigger mechanisms and working out any issues when i build the real thing. these are my two prototypes so far. one picture shows a "slide" that moves back and forth on the top, the other picture shows a slide moving up/down. i made these prototypes out of whatever i had laying around. enjoy and build! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

While this will work, why the sled? You could simply attach the end of the trigger to a block and drill a longish hole through the middle of the wooden shaft for the trigger to go through.

3. quantum

quantum New Member

hi, i did it this way for stability and strength, if slides are used you can get rid of misfire and slips. also its more accurate. all the holding power is put into the slide and into the slide holders rather then directly to the trigger, which should be just that, a trigger.

4. quantum

quantum New Member

mechanics of trigger in sling gun

ok, i wanna show you something that i think is important, the following images of a sling gun have been around the internet for some time and for a couple of months i have been analyzing the pictures and trying to figure out how it works... so here are my thoughts on it... it looks simple but it's not. This is what i call elegance. beautiful design.

look close...
    (1) you will see clearly that there are two pins on either side of the two sliders (these sliders hold the ball in place in the pouch in lock position), these two pins drop down (when the trigger is pulled) releasing the sliders, the tension of the rubber tube holding the ball is now released.

(2) the sliders are free to move independently.

(3) the pullback mechanism (including the sliders and pins) can be moved forward all the way and locked into the back position after loading (that's the black plastic finger clasp thing on top of the gun). it also has a lock switch (look closely behind (moves up/down), is independant of trigger mechanism.

(4) after the gun has been loaded and pulled back it locks in and the trigger engages (most likely with safety on).

(5) the trigger mechanism is independent from the pullback mechanism, and has a safety switch on it, and yet it is linked to the pins/sliders mechanism...

i LOVE mechanics!

in all trigger mechanisms that i have seen, the trigger is just that, and should not be used for applying or holding a direct force.

Play and have fun, i look forward to your reply’s, and thanks for reading!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I think you have given us lots to think about there!

Any idea what this shooter was called?

6. quantum

quantum New Member

no idea. i seen it first a few months ago on a Russian web site while doing a google image search for -slingshot gun- or sling gun, i also seen it on alibaba being sold from china, so i think it's actually made in china.

it was Joergs ;) that got me interested in this stuff a year ago when i looked at his designs and videos, and got me addicted to slingshots! :D DANKE!