Tools?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Barkundra, May 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Barkundra

Barkundra New Member

Hey, I'm new here and I want to make a slingshot, but I have no woodworking tools or experience. So can I get some suggestions for rasps and such? Also how to finish it and stuff thanks in advance :) I do have a jigsaw though.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Barkundra, I'm assuming you might want to begin with just a natural for starters???

I like this thread. Jörg shows how to make a natural fork slingshot.

You can search through the tutorial vids or watch the tutorial linked here:
    How To Make A Slingshot From A Natural Fork

3. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Common tools are rasp, file, knife, sanding paper.
    For advanced builds: coping saw/bandsaw, drills...

4. zwillie

zwillie New Member

5. Barkundra

Barkundra New Member

Thanks guys, does anyone have a suggestion for a rasp or something?

6. Barkundra

Barkundra New Member

Just watched the video, really helpful

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

just look around at your local hardware store, i'm using the cheapest they had and they do great so far

8. Barkundra

Barkundra New Member

Thanks a lot :) ill get one soon

9. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I had to go back and re-watch the vid myself.

It looks like Jörg is using three types of files: flat medium (course rasp) to remove knots and excess, fine flat file for smoothing and shaping, and a round needle file for fork grooves.

You can buy these in complete sets at your local hardware store. I was looking at these earlier this week. They are relatively inexpensive. I don't know about best quality and brands. I was only looking to get some ideas.
    [​IMG]

Are you guys seeing the same thing?
    How To Make A Slingshot From A Natural Fork

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Roll newspaper into tight rolls and tape shut. Wrap a sheet of 60 or 80 grit around it and you will have a good rasp. Works with finer grits too. This ought to do you until you decide what rasps you need.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

A cheap electric palm sander (Black&Decker Mouse, etc) is a great investment. With the various sandpaper available for them, you can remove a lot of wood in a very controlled manner. They start at about $30 US.

12. Lazerface

Lazerface New Member

My tools.

I dont use a vise so my left hand is stronger than my right from holding my projects.

Attached Files:

13. zwillie

zwillie New Member

This rasps are real fine [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRsAlvgf8E[/ame]
    Zwillie

14. Barkundra

Barkundra New Member

Update if anyone is interested I got a 4-in-1 rasp and file, a saw, and a pocket knife from my local hardware store they all work like a dream. I'm working on my first ss now and will post it on the forum so keep checking the homemade section. Thanks all of you

15. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

This is the tool i use. And it realy das work perfekt. I have no praktice with it but its easy to handle. In german its called a "Drehmel" or aktually its the brand^^ [​IMG]
    And some sandpaper.

About to make my secound ss and will post both soon.

keep it up

16. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Wow, ALL of guys above are making me green with envy. [​IMG]

@Lazerface - That is an impressive set of tools you've got there. I gotta get some of that stuff to add to my street cred. [​IMG]

@zwillie - I have a 'Microplane', but I use it to grate hard cheeses. I didn't know these could be used for wood. When I suggested it once, I was told the Microplanes would not outlast the traditional rasp and files in terms of durability; the teeth would eventually bend. But it sounds to me like you enjoy them and they are working out just fine for you? Perhaps I should investigate these a bit more.

@Maulwurfsurfer - I LOVE your Drehmel! But I'm betting it's very expensive. But OH MY GOSH! All of those glorious attachments -- WOW! I want one!

My Christmas list just expanded again.
    [​IMG]

17. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

Well i got mine from dad. He didn't use it. There similar tools not even that expensive (about 40-80 Euro) depens on the size and power. I saw it at the "OBI" store in germany.