The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm new here and I want to make a slingshot, but I have no woodworking tools or experience. So can I get some suggestions for rasps and such? Also how to finish it and stuff thanks in advance :) I do have a jigsaw though.

·
1,105 Posts
Common tools are rasp, file, knife, sanding paper.
For advanced builds: coping saw/bandsaw, drills...

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, does anyone have a suggestion for a rasp or something?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just watched the video, really helpful

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot :) ill get one soon

·
RESIGNED
583 Posts
Just watched the video, really helpful
I had to go back and re-watch the vid myself.

It looks like Jörg is using three types of files: flat medium (course rasp) to remove knots and excess, fine flat file for smoothing and shaping, and a round needle file for fork grooves.

You can buy these in complete sets at your local hardware store. I was looking at these earlier this week. They are relatively inexpensive. I don't know about best quality and brands. I was only looking to get some ideas.

Are you guys seeing the same thing?
How To Make A Slingshot From A Natural Fork

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Roll newspaper into tight rolls and tape shut. Wrap a sheet of 60 or 80 grit around it and you will have a good rasp. Works with finer grits too. This ought to do you until you decide what rasps you need.

·
Thread Hijacker
3,375 Posts
A cheap electric palm sander (Black&Decker Mouse, etc) is a great investment. With the various sandpaper available for them, you can remove a lot of wood in a very controlled manner. They start at about $30 US.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This rasps are real fine [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRsAlvgf8E[/ame]
Zwillie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update if anyone is interested I got a 4-in-1 rasp and file, a saw, and a pocket knife from my local hardware store they all work like a dream. I'm working on my first ss now and will post it on the forum so keep checking the homemade section. Thanks all of you

·
69 Posts
This is the tool i use. And it realy das work perfekt. I have no praktice with it but its easy to handle. In german its called a "Drehmel" or aktually its the brand^^

And some sandpaper.

About to make my secound ss and will post both soon.

keep it up

·
RESIGNED
583 Posts
Wow, ALL of guys above are making me green with envy.

@Lazerface - That is an impressive set of tools you've got there. I gotta get some of that stuff to add to my street cred.

@zwillie - I have a 'Microplane', but I use it to grate hard cheeses. I didn't know these could be used for wood. When I suggested it once, I was told the Microplanes would not outlast the traditional rasp and files in terms of durability; the teeth would eventually bend. But it sounds to me like you enjoy them and they are working out just fine for you? Perhaps I should investigate these a bit more.

@Maulwurfsurfer - I LOVE your Drehmel! But I'm betting it's very expensive. But OH MY GOSH! All of those glorious attachments -- WOW! I want one!

My Christmas list just expanded again.

·
69 Posts
@Maulwurfsurfer - I LOVE your Drehmel! But I'm betting it's very expensive. But OH MY GOSH! All of those glorious attachments -- WOW! I want one!

My Christmas list just expanded again.
Well i got mine from dad. He didn't use it. There similar tools not even that expensive (about 40-80 Euro) depens on the size and power. I saw it at the "OBI" store in germany.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts