Took my own advice today.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buckshot500, Jan 18, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Bought a bandfile at the harbor freight store.

I'm not sure where i am going to get replacement bands yet, but I can order them off the web if I need to.
    It came with an extra set of brushes, 6 belts and I got a 2 year warranty for $10.00 more.

Oh the price was $32.00 USD

I've been wanting this tool for a long time, and couldn't talk myself out of buying it today.

Attached Files:

2. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

3. buckshot500

When I joined this forum, I wondered why nobody seemed to mention this tool.
    It's perfect for the type of work involved with making a fork out of pretty much any material that would possibly be used.

I will post up some vids once I get a chance to put it to use, although that may be next weekend at the very least. I will be at work every day until next Saturday.

I spotted a piece of pressure treated 1"X6" lumber in my shed today. If I can locate my jigsaw I might cut a fork out of it and smooth it off.

Might be a bit harsh with the chemicals in the wood, but at least termites won't eat my slingshot.:rolleyes:

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

That looks like a great tool, I'll have to check and see if my local store carrys any.

5. buckshot500

The sanding belts may be tough to source locally unless you are in a city.

The belts are 1/2" wide and if you were to cut the loop, it would be 18-1/4" long

The box says it removes stock at 2300 feet per minute. It is not a variable speed switch, just on/off.

They also have air driven units too, that may be variable speed. (not sure about that)
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-belt-sander-97055.html

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

That's a cool tool! I had no clue those existed but it looks like it'll make shaping any slingshot real easy!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I, too, was unaware of this tool. I now know what Lady Flipgun is getting me for our anniversary in March.:D
    Thanx for showing this.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I saw one of these the other day but it was air only. Good to see that you can get them electrically powered too. Another one to add to my loooong wishlist :)

9. buckshot500

Only had to work a half day, and it's nice weather outside.

I decided to go ahead and make the video today.

I was able to test the bandfile and a suction cup mounted vise.

The vid is uploading on youtube and will be available in a little while. I apologize for the video. My arm occasionally blocks the view for a few moments.

The tool is not idiot proof, in that the edge of the belt will dig in as you change direction if you don't tilt the machine to lift the leading edge of the sandpaper. As you can see i did get the belt to pop off the rollers and it was quickly and easily re-installed.

I didn't edit the video and it is in real time.

That said, it probably took me less time to round it off, than it did to cut it out with a dull jigsaw blade.

I used a Moorhammer pattern that I printed from the PDF from the forum that bemahony posted. (Thanks Be)

After the vid ends, I took another cut with the saw to remove the handle extras i left on to grab in the vise. Brought the slingshot inside & my wife claimed it. I guess we'll be tearing up some soda cans pretty soon.

The wood is whatever kind of wood they pressure treat and sell at the home center. Probably seal it with polyurethane. I'll be sure to stress test it before going much further on the build.

I mostly made it to demonstrate the use of the bandfile.

10. buckshot500

Attached Files:

11. buckshot500

[ame]http://youtu.be/0PT1e8L32Jk[/ame]

12. buckshot500

Most of that rumbling noise is due to the vise being mounted to the sheet metal cover of an electrical panel.

I'm very happy with the way the tool works and how fast it removes material.

The slingshot still needs some minor hand sanding, but a whole lot less that when I just had cut out the pattern. 6 minutes of time with this bandfile beats hours of filing and sanding.

13. buckshot500

Well the stress test was a complete success!

The stress made the pressure treated wood fail, thereby protecting me from certain doom. :)

The verdict on pressure treated wood, don't use it to make slingshots period!

Attached Files:

14. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Hi Buckshot! How did you do the stress test?

15. buckshot500

I had watched Joerg's video user guide and saw on there how to clamp the shooter's handle in a vise and tie paracord to the fork ends. then pull the paracord really hard.

Well I never got that far and was able to break it with my bare hands. Just snapped right off.

I can imagine what that would have done had it happened under a full butterfly stretch.:eek:

16. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks buck! Cheers!