Today...

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, Nov 29, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

...I made a special slingshot...

... a Rambone from multiplex!

Yes, it is my second Rambone from multiplex, and yes, I have plenty of Rambones lying around.

But I have promised to make a tutorial, and for that I had to make one more wooden Rambone.

Actually it is a lot harder to do that with a running camera! You have to work on the piece so you don't block the camera, not easy really.

There is a ton of footage, as it takes a few hours to make a Rambone of course. I suggested to Helmut to offer small pieces of 18mm Multiplex, as not everybody has access to it, and even the smallest boards some DIY markets sell are way too large plus quiet expensive. A 20x20cm board is more than large enough for a Rambone.

Also, I banded up "The Machinist" - it is actually fun to shoot this thing!

Attached Files:

2. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

They all look GREAT!

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'll admit that the Steampunk theme isn't my preference, but that center Rambone is freaking beautiful! That's serious craftsmanship!

-Wild Bill

4. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i agree with Bill, the wooden one is my favorite of the three

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Heh. My wife looked over my shoulder and said, "Ohhh... I like the green one the best!"

-Wild Bill

6. Moin moin,
    take care with copper,
    Latex does not like the contact with copper .....
    It has zerstörrt the tapes with me.
    Melchi explained it to me once, but ....

But otherwise, you can just say OK!
    Here you can correctly measure accurately, and work, but for your information on distances in the garden?
    -

passe mit der Kupfer auf,
    Latex mag den Kontakt mit Kupfer nicht .....
    Es hat bei mir die Bänder zerstörrt.
    Melchi hat es mir mal erklärt, aber....

Aber sonst, kann man nur sagen OK!!!
    Hier kannst du richtig genau messen, und arbeiten, aber bei deinen Entfernungsangaben im Garten ???

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That multiplex version turned out really nice. The layers really blend well along the shape of the slingshot. Great work. That banded machinist does look like fun to shoot.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Have already ordered my olive Rambone, looks like Ill be making a multiplex one too now!! It looks very cool :)

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

All three look amazing. I'd be happy to shoot/own any of those.

10. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Very nice triple of the Rambone.

11. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Have finished the video... 10 minutes total length, even though I sped up the saw/rasp/file work parts 30 times.

The video will most likely go online next week Thursday, when the shops (both Helmut's and Nathan's) have included the necessary 18mm multiplex board. I am afraid not everybody can find it, at least not in an affordable size.

This frame was just sanded to 80 grit and then oiled, still took about four hours net to make it. I think I could have done it in three without the camera.

For a superb finish, another four hours would have to be invested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

WOW! That really is a stunner seen in the close-up pics! I think it looks a lot better in multiplex than anything else imho! Beautiful job!!!

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

14. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I also found out recently that Home Depot in the US can get the 5'×5'×3/4" Baltic Birch ply at $45.88 was the quote but it would be special order here. Seems within reason for what it is and what you get out of it. I'm assuming much more expensive than there though, correct?

15. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

We are hoping to sell a piece that is sufficient to cut out the three forks you need for a full Rambone for just under 6 Euros, about 8 dollars US.

I pay about 35 Euros for a board that is 80cm x 60 cm in one of the better DIY stores here.

16. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

How about your take on Spectraply? I'm guessing due to the parallel lamination it would be to week at the fork bases/elbows. Would be very nice for the swells though!

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

How do I say this ... Grandiose :p

I finally have found a good source of plywood England had nothing..... Just kiefer lol(my first attempt was out if kiefer but that went horribly wrong)

J

18. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

19. panaxoywea

panaxoywea New Member

Keep making steampunk themed slingshots, they look beautiful <3

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That looks really nice Joerg. I was on Nathan's site last week and thought I already saw a piece of plywood available on his site - he also carries pieces of black HDPE, at a reasonable price as well. Any chance you'll take this sling to that 'really nice finish' level? Seems too nice a piece of work to not take it to that point - but I know you're a busy guy too.

I agree with Ravensbull, I'd love to see you do a piece like this in Spectraply. That's even harder to get here than the baltic birch plywood, and more expensive.