Tips tricks and experiences…

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by LW, May 8, 2013.

1. LW

LW New Member

I would like to open a Thread in where you can post your experience or maybe some nice Trick in shooting techniques or making pouches, or whatever…

As we have a lot of newcomers on the forum, it can help you save money, avoid accidents and injuries and even the advanced shooters can learn from each other.

So I will start first!

Cutting Bands

When using a ruler and a roller cutter make sure that the ruler is as flat as possible on the bottom side.
    Why?
    When the ruler looks like in picture one, the rubber will shift or warp during cutting.
    ruler.jpg

If you cannot make the cut in a time and you have to stop (on long bands sometimes is necessary)
    Try not to stop near the pouch side, because on this part of the rubber, the stress on the bands is the highest.

Do not stop cutting in the red marked areas.
    schneiden.jpg

Cutting bands on a cutting mat, like most of us use is nice. But if you do not have one like this, you can use a hard wooden Board, or just better than a cutting mat is a piece of glass, maybe an old window. The best for cutting is a hardened glass board.

However, the cut (cutting edge) on a glass board is indeed much cleaner, but you must change the blade of the cutter much earlier, because of the hard surface.

Connecting bands to the pouch

As you can see in the pictures, how I do it. For me, this method has proven, and my bands last longer.
    I fold the rubber at the end as you can see in the picture. The folding method depends on how wide my bands are on the pouch side.
    mögliche.jpg

I then draw the rubber in both directions, and you can see how the sides of the rubber bands turn to the inside.
    That's what I want to achieve, because I do not want the side of the rubber on the rope or knot.
    The stress and the friction on the bands would be much greater.
    ziehen.jpg

And this is how it can look after tying the knot.
    so sieht es aus.jpg

This method works with any kind of bands no matter what color or brand.

This is it for today, it would be very nice if everyone could contribute a small part of their experience, I will post further in the coming days.

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

You've got some good tips, i'll think about it and see if i have some too

3. artons

artons New Member

very helpful, thank you very much! :)

4. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

good post,:) very informative

5. zwillie

zwillie New Member

:confused:

Where is the sugar????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D (just kidding)

Zwillie

PS Very helpfull, I will test this next time.

6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

This post is so professional and helpful maybe it deserves to start a section on info for newbies (like myself).

These sweet graphics and pics might get buried in the general discussion area.

I think my next band set is going to last longer than the one I'm on--thanks!

7. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

Excellent presentation! Thanks for sharing!

8. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Saderath, i saw a thank-you-video with one of your slingshots with very thin band-end knotes at the pouch.

How did you do that?

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

wear a heavy work glove on your fork hand the first few sessions. bandslap doesn't have to hurt!

10. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Thank you, LW! This will be very helpful and REALLY appreciated. I'm always learning something new and fascinating each day.
    [​IMG]

11. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

thanks for your advice, it is very helpfull.
    i always have trouble cutting my bands and i think this will save me many failed band cutts

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Thanks for sharing LW. I will try that attachment method next time.

My input is how to straight cut bands with scissors if you don' t have a rotary cutter.
    WATCH.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  13. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Hi tokSick. Thank you.

Edit: Found. Great :D

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  14. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

G_Y, Did you click on the word, WATCH? That's the link. It should work. I tried it on both my operating systems and my pod and no problem.

15. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

tokSick, THAT is so cool! This will be helpful for someone just starting.

Rotary cutters and self-healing boards can add up. The slingshot hobby gets expensive for starters. Slingshots, ammo, Theraband, tools, building a catchbox, bandages, broken window...
    [​IMG] Scratch that last one.

16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

HaHaHa You are so right, i used that method for a long time at the beginning. I still cut my bands on glass.

17. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

You' re welcome my friend.:)

18. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

What an excellent post! I have been needing this and wondered how to do it. Thanks one and all!

19. slawek

slawek New Member

Yes this method is great but i tweak it a bit and i use [​IMG] to cut, and i can say its work just great straight and clean cut, and also its faster ^^

20. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Thank you. Thistle where do you girls find all of your little emoticons!?!?!!?