Time it takes to make a Slingshot?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jnmbhj, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

How long does it take to make a average slingshot?

What is the longest time it took to make one?

what is the shortest time it took to make one?

Also what is the easiest material to make it out of?

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's hard to say. It depends on a lot of factors such as the type of design you're going for. If you are making a simple natural wood fork, it can be done in the time it takes to cut it out of the tree if you're not concerned about the final finish. But since more folks want to go a little further, it's likely going to take at least a few hours if you want to do a really fine finish.

Not long ago, we had a One Hour slingshot challenge you can read about here:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/one-hour-slingshot-challenge-31594/

I don't know if there is an 'easiest' material. Some folks can turn around plastic or metal slingshots pretty easily, it depends on your skills and how comfortable you are with particular tools and materials. I would say that wood is the most common material since it's relatively cheap (free sometimes) and pretty easy to find.

3. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

My first self made was for my nieces and nephews. I made it from a wire coathanger, two file bands, and a leftover pouch from the original bands on my old Marksman folder. Took about 20 minutes.

I made my natural in less than 30 minutes, but the wood was already dry. I just stripped most of the bark, cut off the excess, and banded it up.

My first boardcut took about 30 minutes to cut from 3/4" ash on a scroll saw, about an hour of sanding and filing, and a week of soaking in BLO. Total work was less than 3 hours, but it was not as finely shaped as most folks do.

My latest fork took about an hour. I had access to a full woodshop and my uncle helped me tie the pouch and bands. I made six of them in two hours at the woodshop, then stained 'em, glued a penny on each, and banded up 4 of the 6 forks. Still not as finished as most folks, but I have pretty poor manual dexterity and little crafting experience.

Attached Files:

4. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

The First picture is like the one me and my grandfather made when I was a lot younger. I think I still have it. I'll post a picture of it once I find it.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

My quickest was the one hour challenge winner, longest time was the one I made for BV(still having faith it will get there) at around 20 odd hours. Easiest to make is a natty.

6. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

i made a pfs yesterday in about an hour from a piece of pine plank (luckily i had woven this pouch beforehand or else that would have taken another hour)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

nice slingshot also those marbles look nice.

8. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

Thankyou I buy the Marbles super cheap 90 for £1 The slingshot is not to a high quality finish but i just wanted to see if i could make and fire a slingshot in under an hour so finishing i didnt deem necessary at the time

9. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I was able to make a quick Moorhammer fork out of wood with a jigsaw and an electric bandfile in about 20 minutes.

I never completed it though because the pressure treated wood (pine I think) failed the stress test. Cutting the bands and pouch would only have taken another 15 minutes though. so less than an hour if you aren't a perfectionist and have proper tools and materials on hand.

The other side of this timetable would depend on how skilled and driven, the builder is and the amount of steps involved to complete the intended finished product. I imagine a month of Sundays would not be enough time for some people who are designing as they go or making a slingshot with many features and details.

10. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

The cutting and shaping usually take me 2 to 4 hrs. The finishing can be time consuming with waiting for you finish to dry. Then you have the laminating projects. I use a one hour epoxy which takes 12 hours to cure. So there a us more waiting. So I'd say with all the waiting for thing to dry it could take several days from start to finish. To take up the time wasted on drying time I would recommend starting another slingshot. I usually have three or more thing going a one time. Oh and the can use your time wisely and read and make posts on SSC:)

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

11. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

i used a knife a blunt rasp and some sand paper an hour wasnt that bad considering the tools i had at hand( i have power tools but this was a test to see if i could build something useable in an emergency eg. power out and zombies and such lol

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Here's my natty: (Melanie was urging me to come to bed when I was writing my earlier post last night. Sometimes the wife has to come before slingshots! :) ) This was the 5th slingshot I made. The previous 4 were all like the coathanger fork in my first post. Next was my first, late, beloved boardcut. I made one more out of ash on the same patter that I gave to my nephew when he graduated high school last spring. After that, I switched to multiplex. I round off the rough edges where they would be uncomfortable, but not much more. If I'm making them for someone else I paint or stain them. If it's just for me I leave them unfinished. I spent the most time (about four hours) making a camouflaged slingshot with the marine seal on the front instead of my usual lucky penny. Next time I hit the woodshop, I want to user a more shallow router bit on the band grooves and make the edges less angular. I'm also thinking of using some thin suede to pad the band grooves and fork tips to extend band life. Just like slingshooting, slingshot making is best just dove into. Do the best you can with the tools and materials available. They pretty much all shoot straight. :)

Attached Files:

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The shooter I built for the global trade had many hours involved, spread out over the course of 2 weeks. I use a Tru-oil finish, and it requires many very thin coats for best results (in my experience). I think I had 4 days involved in the finish stage alone

14. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Shortest possible work time... I think I could cut a natural fork, band it with a ready-to-go bandset and be shooting it (bark still on) in under 15 minutes.
    Longest possible work time... I don’t think there’s a limit. You could carry making a multi-piece laminated frame made out of exotic African, Asian and Central/South American hardwoods to whatever level of artistry you want to take the project to.

15. fastest for me was a board cut that took 2 hours but i spent about 30 hours on my latest cast aluminium slingshot (kind of depressing when i think of it :) ) but probably 10 of that was all videoing stuff and the camera getting in the way

Attached Files:

16. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Wow it looks great. I saw your video and it was pretty good.

17. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Ah but the more time spent on crafting the fork, the more jealous we all get when we see it.;)
    To have made something as awesome as this in a bucket full of dry sand and a piece of Styrofoam is incredible.

18. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

I made a stickshot a couple of days ago and that took about 10 minutes to make. I just cut the stick from an old sweeping brush handle, I had the pouch lying around so all I had to do was attach it to about 6" of boot lace using zip ties and tie it to a length of rubber.

It's not going to win any awards for artistic endevour, but it works fine.