throwing star shooter project for Joerg

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by rommol, Jan 26, 2014.

1. rommol

rommol slingshotfan

I think that Joerg can do it...

Try to make a shooter for 4 or 5 point metal throwing stars, i know you can !
    You always amaze me how you tackle problems with simple wood constructions , now let me see how you tackle this !
    greetings from another inventor....

Rommol

2. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Throwing stars or shuriken are illegal here in germany. So no shooter.

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yes... that is the sad truth.

4. AvB

AvB New Member

But Joerg,

you already shot oreo cookies...
    what about baking your own shuriken out of salt dough?

okay they won't stick in a wooden plank, but unlike real shuriken those doughiken will shatter into pieces. (time for ballistic gelatine?)
    salt dough is really hard and shouldn't crack at launch.

but an interesting apperature for shooting shuriken can be made and verified.
    and perhaps, the guys of ZGB can do a demonstration with real shuriken???

just my 5 cents

regards
    tom

5. rommol

rommol slingshotfan

shuriken copy

yep, Joerg,
    maybe even a hardplastic copy that will last a couple of shots in gelatine?

RobMol/ Rommol

6. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I don't think anyone has ever been killed, or even seriously wounded, with a shuriken.
    What a silly thing to ban. lol

7. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Its sad because in New York it is illegal also and it is a forth degree offence and that's the same with wrist braced slingshots.

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Pretty sure that's not true...

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Have we learned nothing from all of those king fu and ninja movies...

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Killed, wounded, probably not.

But a gentleman called Bruce Lee scared the sh** out of German politicians in the 70ies. They banned throwing stars solely because of his movies. Nunchakus, same thing.

Not a single documented crime was committed with either one of these weapons. No injuries too (except self inflicted, in case of the nunchaku :) ).

By the way I think that my saw blade shooter would handle throwing stars as well.

11. rommol

rommol slingshotfan

spinning system blades

When i saw your blade shooter i thought you might find a way to shoot a blade horizontal AND make it spin so it would fly further,
    than i thought how could you do that with a throwing star , make it spin and shoot it horizontal to carry further .
    The challenge is to find a way to load and shoot them in one of your simple wooden constructions.
    shooting horizontal and spin a flat object seems to make a straighter flying path.
    I just can't think of a way how to combine that, so i challenge you to find a solution.

you shoot all kind of possible leathal material , so it's up to people what they do with it,
    guns don't kill... people do, as you know !

we all play darts, that's dangerous iff used improperly as well.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Watch from 2:47 on.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q5URmC5BMk[/ame]

13. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

I agree with Jorg on this one. The saw blade gun would probably lob a shuriken pretty decently. For those that are in Germany, New York, or anywhere else that fun stuff is banned give me the ideas and or blueprints and I'll do the builds lol. Oregon almost anything is allowed as long as not within city limits. Open carry of firearms is allowed as well as slingshots both braced and not. Shurikens are not only legal here but can actually be purchased here as well. I may attempt to make a modified Oreo shooter by putting in a wood block attached to rubber to propel the shuriken forward without damage to the rubber. Now just need to figure out a way to put customary spin to them

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Wood blocks tend to be heavy. Not easy to stop those without serious efforts.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

15. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

I was thinking just a small thin block of wood to hit the stars with maybe speargun rubber run through it to just keep the stars from destroying the bands too quickly. I'm new to the idea of rubber weapons though so it may work it may not only way to know is to try. Granted even my best ideas will never match up to yours but hey it's all in fun anyway. Jorg keep up the good work cause thanks to you I've discovered another type of when SHTF type weapons that aren't standard blades or bows. Hope as time goes on I'll be able to come up with awe inspiring designs myself

16. rommol

rommol slingshotfan

Joerg,
    how about this...
    make the rubber band out of 2 parts, right part made out of a small bike chain fixed to the end of the gun, just through the middle to hold the star and and the left side out of rubber going all the way through the exit and over a small wheel back to the backside of the gun .
    than you still have the force of a double sided rubberband and the chain will give it a terrible spin in a horizontal path so it will fly further and more stable.
    if you don't understand me , tell me how i can sent you a drawing.
    greetings Mol

17. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Rommol, Jorg cannot make it due to fact of legality issues in Germany but I can. Send me a private message with your idea and I'll see what can be done with it.

18. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Jorg is there any way possible to get some blueprints on the sawblade gun? I think with some propper modifications I could throw shuriken with it and besides I would love to add one to my arsenal. Also once I get my forge set up again I'm planning to make a couple of my zombie blades if I haven't forgotten how and if and when I get her firing again I would love to send you one. Gotta get a new blower for it and possibly a new fire pan or may just build a new one all together depending on difficulty of getting my old one operational again.

19. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Sorry, no blueprints. Sketched directly to the wood. But it is such a simple mechanism, no plans are needed really.

20. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I would suggest looking at and studying the mechanism behind a spring-powered clay pigeon launcher. This should help you design your shooter and hopefully eliminate the need for blueprints. Good luck and happy building!