Thought I'd share some photos

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Withak, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

No, not of slinghshots or knives. This is 'off topic'

Photography is an old hobby of mine, probably the oldest. My grandfather put his old Pentax ME SLR in my hands when I was about 10 and I never put it down. I used to put considerable time into shooting photos. Of course as the necessities of life creep up on you, some things must take a back seat to others. I still enjoy photography, but don't do near as much as I used to do. For awhile, my wife and I even worked on the side as wedding photographers, something I would never, ever, ever, ever do again :). But, I still like to drag the camera out from time to time. Looking at some of the great photos on this board by folks like Antraxx has been making me think a bit more about my old hobby. I know some pine for the golden days of photography past with film, chemicals and dark rooms. I enjoyed my time then, but I have embraced the opportunities of the digital age. I believe I would have been shooting even more back in the day if I didn't have to worry about film costs.

I just felt like sharing a few photos for those who are interested. I took this set of photos on a cruise to Alaska several years ago. As we pulled in to Juneau, the ship's lateral thrusters were stirring up a bunch of silt in the water, causing the fish to move closer to the surface. The bald eagles that populate the area have come to recognize this opportunity and converge on the ships as they begin to dock. I had my camera and went to the top deck of the ship to watch this. I began taking shot after shot of these beautiful birds of prey in flight. This was a one of a kind experience. I counted 6 eagles that day. I thought you might enjoy them. These are my favorites of the group. You'll recognize the first photo as my site avatar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My personal favorite is #2, the look of the eagle's face, the beautiful coloration and even the texture of the feathers. The low clouds and the dark browns and greens on the steep hillside provided a perfect background. Stunning. I felt privileged to witness this display of natural beauty and power.

2. Otees

Otees Another Member

Wow!! Great shots, I've never been a good photographer and those images are super clear. I love the landscape as well and the one in the clouds.

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Wow!

Amazing pictures- they show the grace of those birds
    (although not the power, which I believe is extreme)

Thanks for sharing!

Greetings to Oregon,

Be

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

You, sir, are an amazing photographer!

5. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Amazing!! Seems like the natgeo pros!!!! I really don't know how to describe!

7. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I don't think anyone could come up with better photos

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, those are beautiful! The last one reminds me of a time my brother and I were fishing a local resevoir, union valley. Its an active nesting site. We were having no luck and as we moved around the shore we got closer to a nesting tree, all of a sudden an eagle effortlessly dropped from its perch, glided down and snatched a huge kokanee(lake salmon) within casting distance from the boat. Nature punked us that day. The memory will last a lifetime, the koke would've been gone at breakfast.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Be. I think still photos tend to lack in showing things such as the power of these birds - for that, I think a video would have been better.

Thank you, Jeremy.

Not quite up to Natgeo standards, but still, some of the better photos I've had a chance to take. Thank you for the compliment.

While I thank you, I do think there are photographers far better than me, but I do aspire to always improve my skills!

Thanks Dolo. Surprisingly, I never got to see one catch a fish. I was waiting, and hoping, but it never happened. To see it at the water level near your boat would have been amazing. Glad you got to see that. My dad loves to fish and kokanee are some of his favorite fish. I'm not a big fish fan myself, but his smoked kokanee is some good stuff. I'm glad I got to see them as we just don't see them much in Oregon. Hawks, Osprey and Owls are more common in our area.

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I had one of those swoop me in the duck blind once, he circled several times very low trying to get our "decoys" to take off so he could grab one. Finally after flying low (15-20 feet) directly over us he figured out the game and left.

Great pictures! As to power, if you can imagine that bird doing 100 mph plus, with 4 steak knives on each foot hitting their target, well you can imagine the carnage. I've seen even red tailed hawks pop heads off of 15 lb Jackrabbits. Eagles, are just Majestic I think is the word.

I'm an old country boy, who happens to live in an area where I've grown up with lots of raptors, and always watched for them.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Those talons are wicked. I'd hate to have one coming right at me. They are certainly powerful hunting machines! Majestic is certainly the right word.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

beautiful pictures :)

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks onnod!