This one is for Me

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by beaverIII73, Jan 20, 2014.

1. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Hi everyone and yup I made a new knife. This time I made this one for myself. I had started off with a stacked leather handle and that failed horribly. The epoxy resin never hardened :(. Two days of work done the tubes. So I was inspired by so many of you doing laminate SSsand my favorite knife maker across the pond Trollskyy (if you like knives like I do you must check out his you tube channel). So I though I would do a knife with different woods on it. This one has aluminum on each end. The first peace of wood is red oak then leather, aluminum, leather spacers. The middle peace of wood is mahogany and then a peace of red oak again. Its finished with some danish oil. I think is my best work yet. Its going to be hard to top this one but it will be fun trying. Hope you all like it as much as I do. I just want to say thanks to AOMW and tysonspapa you two really got me thinking that I could make my own knives when I saw some of you work and i was hooked.

Attached Files:

2. beaverIII73

In the pics I added some of the step it took to make the knife I you guys have any thought on this or any of my other knives I'd like to hear them.

3. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

almost like a buck119

4. Q45

Q45 New Member

5. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Now that's a knife I'd wanna take fishin'! Handle looks quite comfy and well made, while the blade has just enough utility to make me smile. Well done, Beav!

-Wild Bill

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Very nice work on that piece. It wasn't clear to me in the description - did you make the blade or did you start with a blank? I really like the work you did on the handle.

8. beaverIII73

I was so happy with how the handle turned out I didn't say anything about the the blade LOL. Sorry. The blade is an old file. I always that type of knife and I guess it does look like a buck. I think I had one like it in my teens. I like to purpose things. I leather is from a bag of scraps I got from Hobby Lobby and the thin aluminum is part of an old screen door even some of the wood I use in my knives and SSs are scraps for other projects. Thank you all for you again for you kind words.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very nice!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

10. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I really like it and I do have a question or two.

Is the handle entirely glued to the tang with epoxy, or does it have a pin to retain it.
    Wondering the same thing about the pommel assembly.

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Some serious rasping and filing went into that handle! Turned out great :)

12. beaverIII73

No pins gust epoxy. I made a aluminum pin I flattened with a hammer. Then stuck it through the pommel and mushroomed the end with a hammer. Basically I gave the pommel a tag. I put holes and groove on both tags, lots of epoxy them clapped them together. :)

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work on that blade too!

14. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Very nice knife , whats the brand of the combination sander?

15. beaverIII73

WEN 4"x 6" Belt Disc Sander

16. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

That is one sweet knife

17. WildBill

I just gotta say this. Beav, you wanted to do this for many years, and though various things in life got in your way, you made the decision to start making knives anyway. Since you made that decision, your skill, confidence and artistry have excelled. Now you're even beginning to mentor others who want to make file knives. We've all seen how you've grown in the craft and are excited to see what you'll do next, whom you will help next, and your further contributions to the craft. I salute you, Sir!

-Wild Bill

18. beaverIII73

Bill,
    Thank you for what you said. I am humbled by your praise. I'm very grateful to be able to share my work here and to help my fellow SSC junkies. I have learned so much in a short time here and I look forward to learn much more.

19. beaverIII73

So this is the finish product, knife and sheath. Hope you all like it.

Attached Files:

20. WildBill

So... When are we goin' fishin'?

-Wild Bill