This is funny- even if you don't speak German

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I love the German words for speeding and ride.
    Geschwindigkeitsüberschreitung and Mitfahrgelegenheit respectively.

2. Catamantaloedis

Catamantaloedis Junior Member

Hey guys, I can help you with your German "troubles", if you want me to. I may be not a teacher but I'm everything else than a dumbass. I think best thing to learn German is to hear it, write it and last but not least speak it. It would also help to have a good feeling for language. German is my mothers tounge and I have a lot of background knowledge, but if someone asked me to determine a particular tense I may guess the right answer. Same thing with English. Biggest Problem for a German learning English is the syntax. We tend to use German syntax in English sentences.

Please correct my misstakes in a constructive way. I will do the same and try to explain everything understandable, if you want.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sounds good to me. I'm using an iPhone app called Duolingo. Rather than running you through a bunch of 'rules' for a language, it just drops you right in to learning words and phrases. It does give some basic help here and there with certain rules of grammar, the rest is done by having you read, type and speak the words and phrases. It has you translate from German to English and from English to German. It's quite a nice app (it's free) and it's fun to use. I'm really impressed by it. I had always wanted to learn another language, but couldn't justify paying the big $$ for a program like Rosetta Stone. As I understand it, Duolingo works very much like Rosetta, but for free.

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

We're both doing Duolingo! My wife is doing all five languages at once- she has her Spanish owl, is pretty close to her French one and is at least level 13 in everything else. My user name is Theognome on Duo.

-Wild Bill

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm going to stick with one language for now ;) My wife is also using it to refresh her French. She tried to test out of the first levels but found she was a bit too rusty to do that.

6. AvB

AvB New Member

as long as your centimeter measures 25,4 milimeters, you are not ready for german precision :)

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Germans, give them an inch and they take a kilometer...

-Wild Bill