This is funny- even if you don't speak German

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Nov 22, 2013.

1. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I loled :D My high school german teacher used to sayy that german is the only language with infinite words hehe.

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm starting to run into some of that in my current German studies. Those Germans can make a compound word or contraction out of ANYTHING...

-Wild Bill

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That was awesome. I relish any chance I get to speak and listen to German.

4. WildBill

Ich habe keine Deutsch sprechenden Freunde, wo ich wohne. Aber ich spreche Deutsch so schlecht, dass ist gut.

-Wild Bill

5. Catamantaloedis

Catamantaloedis Junior Member

It's not that bad ;). Your grammar isn't correct 100% but that's the hard part of learning German.

Mein Englisch ist aber auch nicht das beste^^

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey my wild friend!

THIS IS GREAT! :)

I was laughing out loud!-
    like the rest of my family!
    Thanks for the laughs!

best wishes to you,

Be

7. WildBill

Your English is far better than my German. Those four German cases are still kicking my butt.

-Wild Bill

8. Catamantaloedis

Catamantaloedis Junior Member

You can ask me anytime, if you want to

9. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

The hardest in learning german is the grama and the diffrend terms in combination.
    Thats makes german so hard to learn!

And my English isn´t quite good but until now every (mostly) understand what i mean so it´s ok! :D

I like this vid too!

10. Jeremy

I heard this phrase quit often while in Germany: Deutsche Sprache, schwerige Sprache.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You can say that again.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

As someone who is just starting to learn some German, it is true, it is a hard language. I've been discussing this with my wife, who took 4 years of French. She has been trying to convey some concepts to me such as the masculine and feminine, and how that modifies the words you use with a particular item in a sentence, something we don't really have in English. In English, 'the' is 'the' regardless of the gender of the item. When I told her that German adds a third, neuter, she was very surprised and said that would confuse her as well. I then let her know that based on what I can find so far, there are no real rules as to what is masculine, feminine or neuter, and that it's just best to learn them with the word itself. So instead of learning that 'pferd' is horse, you want to learn it as 'das pferd' (the horse) so you know that it's a neuter gender word. The program I'm using doesn't explain the rules as much as try to immerse you in the language, so I find myself constantly making mistakes with der, die and das. I guess I'll get it down after a lot of time and practice. It is fun though as I've always wanted to learn another language. I've never been able to speak to one of my oldest friends, who is from Munich, in German, I'd like to surprise him with a little German someday.

Oh, and then there's the fact that in German, nouns are capitalized. That's going to take some time to get used to as well :)

And yes, I could understand you just fine. In fact I'm quite impressed at the number of non-native English speaking folks that express themselves so well on this forum.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. Jeremy

You are forgetting about the plural case as well. Each case is then conjugated in nominative, accusative, genetive and dative. So der has four forms: der, den, dem, and des.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes, I'm just getting into those as well. It is truly and adventure. I also think I'm understanding why more people don't learn another language. It's a lot of work. Too bad we don't push for it at a younger age.

In our daughter's school, they teach Latin. Their reasoning is that since Latin is the base for many world languages, understanding Latin will help in the future when she wants to learn another language. Seems to make sense to us. She's 6 and knows more Latin than I do. She can name all her Latin singular and plural declensions (1st, 2nd and 3rd) - her old dad has no idea what those are :p

15. AvB

AvB New Member

hehe

start spreading this culture...
    Say things like "Missisipipaddlesteamercaptainscabin"
    if you're meaning the captain's cabin of a paddle steamer on the missisipi...

you see...
    :)

16. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I don't understand a thing, but that is still hilarious :D

17. WildBill

I feel you pain. I'm doing a lesson right now in something so simple as, 'conjunctions' and still run into trouble with word order and grammar. Take the word, 'Apple' for instance. I initially thought that I'd use, 'Einen Apfel' for an apple, but there are times when you just use, 'Ein'. Ugh...

-Wild Bill

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, so it's "ein ugh Apfel", got it. Thanks ;)

I kind of wish we had more really long words like German, all we really have are antidisestablishmentarianism and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

19. WildBill

English has too much French and Latin influence to build really great (or silly) compound words. But I have tried to coin a new English word- Bathysaudiophobia: The fear of making noise while using the bathroom.

-Wild Bill