They came back from the dead!!!

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by Brazilviking, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I've been on the UBATUBA (try to pronounce that!)beach this weekend. My parents beach house, belonged to my grandmother. Look what I've found on the old workshop!
    The first professional slingshot that my grandfather gave to my father when I was 5!!!!(the red one) I was so young that I've never been abble to give a good shot with it! The inscription says "atiradeira tirocerto" wich means "slingshot rightshot", an ancient brazilian trademark.
    The other one I've bought in the USA when I was 15, during my first trip to Orlando, at "The sports authority". I just feel so happy to find this treasures!!! Of course, they need restoration and it will be done!! Just ordered some theratube for it!!

Attached Files:

2. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Very interesting. Your father's Slingshot must bring you a lot of joy!

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Armor All will clean up the frame nicely.

4. Vintage Slingshots!

Clean the up!

Polish the metal!

And then behind glass!

Great Slingshots!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  5. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Wow, very nice find Brazilviking! I bet that brought back some memories. Have fun with the restoration. I don't think that they deserve a life behind glass after their rebirth. They are itching to do a shooting session after all of these years! :D

6. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

If anyone can restore these, it is definitely you. They are in skilled hands[​IMG] I'm looking forward to seeing the 'makeovers', BV.

7. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Really nice Brazil Slingshot! :D
    Amazing that this 29 Years old Slingshot, looks like the same Design how the Modern Trumark Slingshots.
    Have Fun at Shooting :D

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sweet find! Have fun with these veterans :)

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Treasures!! It seems like you have struck gold!
    Glad you found these, its always a good feeling to find things from childhood that you had lost or forgotten about. Looking forward to the restoration and I hope you enjoy them!

10. Brazilviking

Armor all? Sorry, but I don't think we have this in Brazil....what is the composition?

11. Brazilviking

Agree. They are going back to business.
    I"ll try to document all the restoration and keep posting here.
    You work with plastics, right, flicks? can you give me some tips? Seems that the plastic of the red one is a little overdry, almost rotten. Any idea?

12. Brazilviking

Wow! that sounded as a great complement! Thanks!

13. Courier

Courier Senior Member

That are some rare slingshots you got there!
    We hope to see these beauties in action soon. :)

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Armor-all is an automotive cleaner and protector. It has a light, very mild cleaning agent and what seems to be an oil or perhaps a silicon additive to give excellent shine to most surfaces. Works great on plastic, rubber and metal.
    If there is a good automotive store nearby, take a look in the car washing section and they may have it.

15. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

On the old Brazilian fork, is it steel or aluminum?

16. knifefightermike

knifefightermike New Member

I have that Crossman Marksman slingshot, it's the first one I ever owned and it shoots great, lots of power even with the blue tubing bands. It's a good one for kids, my son likes the arm brace because he's not yet strong enough to pull heavy bands without straining his wrist.

17. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Restoration of plastic parts is a little bit tricky. Dependig on the type of plastic it needs different treatment, so you have to be careful. At first you should ask yourself what kind of restoration you want to do. Should the Slinger look like new afterwards or should it be a "light restauration" so a cleaning and preserving the condition. I like more these light restorations. The slingshot had a life and there is nothing wrong to show it. The cuts and marks creates a special character.

Can you remove the handle or is it moulded around the steelrods?
    For a cleaning you will need ethyl alcohol, petroleum ether, acetone, a toothbrush, a white piece of cloth, ballistol-oil (or any other oil that doesn't attack the plastic), a tube with metal polish, steel wool and 3 bottles of beer.

Step 1: Drink one beer
    Step 2: If there are any loose parts on thesurface remove with the scalpel
    Step 3: Rub ethyl alcohol with a piece of cloth on a small place on the plastic. If the cloth is still white afterwards try to clean the surface with the ethyl alcohol and a toothbrush. If that does not lead to a sufficient result then =>
    Step 4: Same as 3 with petroleum ether, if that fails =>
    Step 5: try to grind the surface with the metal polish, if that fails cuz the plastic is too soft =>
    Step 6: try with acetone, but I hope that would not be necessary cuz acetone will definately attack the surface. Use it sparigly!
    Hopefully the grip is clean now and in a appropriate condition. If yes seal the surface with ballistol.
    Step 7: drink another beer and then to the easy part
    Step 8: remove the rotten wrist brace plastic, polish the rods with the steel wool and seal with ballistol. Replace the wrist brace plastic with an isolation for a heating pipe.
    Step 9: drink the last beer and cherish the rebirth of a vintage shooter.

Have fun and post pics.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

18. Never Dull for Metal cleaning?

Joe

19. Brazilviking

Aluminum. The arm brace too!

20. Brazilviking

Is it still on sale, I mean, on the shops?