Theratube

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by BeMahoney, Aug 31, 2013.

1. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hi everyone,

which is the best way to fix theratube to the fork to make it last as long as possible?

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

most use a strip of leather the width of the fork tips, with a hole at one end which you pass the tube through then tie as a pouch attachment, the other end you tie onto the fork tips as usual with theraband.
    I hope I explained well as I couldn't find a photo showing it. as well, I haven't welcomed you yet so... welcome to the crazy club!:D

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I agree with dolomite. The more durable way to attach a tube to a fork is not making contact with the fork itself. You can use internal cords too!

Attached Files:

4. BeMahoney

5. BeMahoney

Thank U Braziliking! That "indirect" attachment sounds good and logical!
    I´m recently thinking about inner friction and friction at those attachment-constructions-
    for it seems to me to be clearly the points where the rubber will someday break..

6. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

I agree with the method mentioned above for a long lasting tube.
    But I like to mention that Thera Tube is not as fast as surgical tubing or Dankung tubing.
    Rubber will fail someday like you said. it is just a matter of time.
    All you can do is to try to increase its lifespan.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  7. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I would strongly recommend "Bunny Ears" of Theratube. Negligible wear on the main tubes and more power :)

Attached Files:

8. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

Sounds great but let me ask you about their accuracy.
    These bunny ears will snap back to their original position meaning straight up.
    How do they compare to leather tabs or para cord tabs?
    Different point of aim?

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

ruthie, is that an anti handslap device or a backhand slap device?

10. BeMahoney

Thank U ruthie!- Third view revealed the principle!-
    And you seem to think about aerodynamics concerning the pouch!?
    Has anyone maxed out that topic?- Seems to me pouches could be minimalised...

11. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

In terms of accuracy I can only say that they give me what I am looking for...basically a head shot at 10 to 15 metres. (This being the maximum range I have for practise whether for lead ball or arrows. As to the more refined accuracy of target shooting I'm afraid I couldn't say though I would be very interested to hear from shooters more accurate than I who made the comparison.

The big plusses for me are the enhanced power...especially when pseudotapering...say with TTS bunny ears and looped TTB tubes
    and economy (no wear on the main tubes at the fork end and the ears themselves can use up odd lengths of tube)

As to a 'different point of aim' your question made me realise that I don't seem to aim 'per se' but just seem to focus very intently on the target object without (conscious) reference to the SS frame.

:)

12. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Well, more decorative than anything...I used to get bad bandslap but the bunny ears seem to deal with that and, in any case, I tend to flip nowadays which also gets rid of the slap

13. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

It has been a problem finding leather that can take the power of very heavy tubes. Someone very kindly sent me some kangaroo hide. It wasn't strong enough as a single layer (broke after about 40 shots) but I reckon that laminated double, maybe with a silk inner layer, it should be perfect.

Until I get round to it I'm happy with some strong leather from my local cobbler that I can lighten by punching extra holes in it. Seems to work OK.

14. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I would like to hear more of your impressions concerning the comparative performance of Theratube, Dankung and surgical tubing.

I've only recently had the chance to try Dankung and my subjective impression is that the 50/80 out performs TTB. I really like it and wish to try it on some of my other rigs.

Could you tell me about this surgical tubing? For ages I've been trying to locate the tubing that Madison Parker uses that gives enough power to kill a deer with a headshot but no joy so far.

15. BeMahoney

pouch-thinking

Hi everybody,

just visualized that pouch-thinking.
    The upper and lower part (underneath/above the ball)
    could still be smaller?- I will make a test-pouch of leather,
    upper and lower part (underneath/above the ball) soaked with wood-glue
    (that white stuff getting transparent when hardened) to make it stiff.

Should result in a basket-pouch stripped of any material not necessary

Any opinions/ experiences?

Attached Files:

16. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

Madison uses surgical tubing 1/4" ID with a wall thickness of 3/32".
    This equals a measurement of 6.35 mm ID x 11.11 mm OD.
    Here is a link of a company in Germany who carries quality Latex tubing in similar sizes.
    If you click on 'Worldwide' on their home page you will find even something in Spain.
    But I bet they would answer your email in English too.
    http://www.lab-laborfachhandel.de/labwareii/schlaeucheverbinder/index.php
    http://www.lab-laborfachhandel.de/index.php

17. BeMahoney

prototyping

the glue is not dried yet- and the second try even more reduced.
    The upper and under wing are not necessary if the pouch itself is
    three-dimensional. (used my disk-sanding machine for the recess)
    I guess I will have to stretch the tubes while tieing them to the pouch
    With that thick leather it could work like this, i guess:

Attached Files: