The Viking Sniper

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ravensbull, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks goes first to FIAAO for designing an awesome and compact little sideshooter! I did some minor modifications once I had it on paper. First, I changed the grip angle slightly to center the 'teardrop' lobe of the grip with the throat and located a center for a 9/16" pinky hole. The other mod is the forks. I designed those with the idea of shooting wider fork end bands for faster tapers than I have normally shot. I had once asked Master Flatband (Gary Miller) for some band cut dimensions for the starship he was shooting "Superfly" in his video. He graciously replied so I still had some of those stashed away that had been broken twice at the pouch so shortened a bit but still ok. I had remembered seeing a picture of Jaybird's (Jay Scott-Rest His Soul) favorite shooter. Fork tips were 1 1/4" wide with a 1" gap. So to handle these bands and as a tribute to his design, here it manifested! Shooting Prophet Arturo style full butterfly with double bands and 3/8"×1/2" home cast lead cylinders from Charles' moulds, it is FAST even out in the cold! The swell is black walnut from an old cabinet door and my maple laminate 5/8" thick, about ten plies. No stain, but a BLO soak for a nearly forgotten 2 1/2 days... I LOVE THIS PIECE and I hope you guys enjoy seeing it too!

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Oh, I can see the nuances. Yes Failure is never an option when you invoke the name of the Chilean slingshot prophet, Arturo! When the two are combined, it seems you get what you have posted above. This is an interesting design- it's somewhat pickled, yet with a form that's been squashed into a mandatory pinch-grip butterfly. The woodwork and finishing is good, but the thought behind the design is greater. Well done!

-Wild Bill

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks WB! I really felt the need to have a decent fork gap seeing I'm shooting oddly shaped ammo a lot lately. I have some 3/8" Allthread rod I'm going to cut at slight angles "Ruthiexxx" style too but I'll probably test shoot that stuff with something else. I haven't shown any of my PFS due to most are cheap plywood and beat up a bit from the learning curve... I'm admittedly still a big noob to the PFS game.

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've never fired a PFS myself, but you may want to treat this one like it from the get go. Flip the fork forward with each shot, and do some repetitive shooting to get the muscle memory needed to be consistent. Arturo has posted a boat-ton of videos of shooting PFS's and you'll see the proper technique in a study of them. To wit- the man is freakingly good and what he does and you'll need to strive to emulate his technique. Good luck and happy shooting!

-Wild Bill

5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I would also like to thank Inkspot too for influencing the swell shape and remembering i had a stash of that walnut cabinet door buried somewhere in my mess!

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

What can I say? That is something I would like to have. Good Stuff!

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Well actually I tend not to flip shoot anything. I use the "turn and tweak" and a straight wrist grip with the forks slanted close to 45° forward (except with OTF/TTF shooters) which mostly eliminates the need to flip at all. I think Joerg explained it best though when he mentioned that with strong enough bands, upon release, you sort of get a slight automatic flip from relieving the wrist load. So no matter how rigid you hold your wrist, with bands that are heavy for any individual, a bit of flip action will happen, but I don't actively or force flip. More static in form and let it naturally follow through.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks Flipgun! When you comment on my work it means a boatload to me as I admire your work greatly! I think that you could easily trump this when your creative juices are flowing. I mean, it isn't coincidence that both of our shops look like two rooms of one place :D! I use the same sweet little Ryobi scrollsaw also. I just doubt I'll ever catch up to anywhere near some of your pieces I've seen..! Although each one I do is feeling more refined every cut and the meditation of time hand sanding is getting more patient too. I need some poly next to seal up what I have so far though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That looks really great Ravensbull! That's a very nicely finished piece. It obviously has taken some care to get it to where it is. As Bill pointed out, the nuances show through in the photos. The palmswell looks great. It's really just a fine piece of work. Nicely done.

10. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks for the kind words Withak! I just noticed while looking at the picture of it in my hand with the swell showing, that it looks as if there are pits or something on the swell, it is actually just small melting snowflakes. I hadn't noticed that prior to posting and it rubs me a bit now.. The issues of phone pics and posting i guess. I also didn't get the grain patterns in the swell at all being too overcast but they run parallel like 3 waves of chocolate. Loving this chunk of walnut and I'll be showing more soon. I have a few more different designs with glue drying and some shaping/sanding to do.

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Lovely shooter! Nice creation!
    Inspiring!

12. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice! :D I feel honored that you chose my design! Very well done, looks great!

13. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I feel honored as well to have used it and gain your approval! :eek: This one is a definite keeper as it's one of the first palmswells of my glue ups I have that is finished that far. I need some poly or try beeswax and buff. Any suggestions? It was sanded to about worn out 320, so about 400 grit paper. Thanks so much to you for the great template! This thing is a blast to shoot and feels xxx rated in my hand with the pinky hole sized to fit! I'm still thinking about a lanyard too, but a late plan that could go dramatically wrong when drilling.

14. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

[recurvedrazilviking y;248171]Lovely shooter! Nice creation!
    Inspiring![/QUOTE]

THANK YOU MUCH DOC! I'm honored you like it as well! This is an instantly well behaved, BUT black tongue whipping little Viking Sniper :D! Is it your turn for one now? I'm itching to do your Eyepoker when I clear the project schedule in awhile. That looks like it will surely make a Wicked and BAD~A$$ little palm stasher ,with...and...!? :rolleyes:

15. Brazilviking

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU MUCH DOC! I'm honored you like it as well! This is an instantly well behaved, BUT black tongue whipping little Viking Sniper :D! Is it your turn for one now? I'm itching to do your Eyepoker when I clear the project schedule in awhile. That looks like it will surely make a Wicked and BAD~A$$ little palm stasher ,with...and...!? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    BTW I'm working on the "poker" family!
    Soon you will meet the "wide poker", the "side poker", the "pickle fork poker" and the "hammer poker"!

16. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Aaah..., HAHAHA! I'm feeling it Bro! Look what I accidentally fumble fingered into your quote tag!?! Your surgical practices gave me a jagged jolt..! You have a strong practice of repairing serious bone issues, but on top of that, now, your birth delivering a whole tribe?!?! Please don't go jumping into the practice like the skilled hands of the doctor on the movie "Turistas!" Big money there though..?! Hahaha!
    I had seen and studied the " 'Poker "close back when you first showed it, and your sweet gem from the design. LOTS can happen with that little guy, as you mentioned is coming!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  17. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

very nice little killer :cool: I like it very much, awesome work Ravensbull, congrats
    Cheers

18. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Great piece of work, like you said, definitely a keeper! :)

19. Brazilviking

I really hate that movie.....they mixed the whole geography of my country....and those things don't happen here! Tourists are only robbed and raped, no kidneys removal!:eek::eek::eek:

20. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

That comment was most certainly not intended to be a jab at you or disrespectful in any way shape or form towards you, the ladies, or fellow country men, BV! Seeing you hadn't replied, I was considering a pm to you to check your stats and/or apologize. I had watched it about 4 nights ago and was thinking about it. Crazy movie!
    "Only robbed and raped!" :D If the beautiful women you folks have there, rape male tourists, I'll let you know when I step off the plain, train, bus, walk or whatever..! I'm down to be robbed blind right after the rape... As long as I'm not a receiver from the man depicted in the bus seat drawing Bro..! :eek: