The Unusual (for me)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by mvd, Aug 16, 2013.

1. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I did something that is very unusual for me, considering my slinghots cosisted solely out of scrap metal and material.

I rescued a natural elm fork from the fire pit and tried my best. Removed the Bark with a knife, rasped down the knots, sanded it to 240 (maximum, don't have a finer grit) and put two layers of beeswax-solution on it.

You can still see the knive marks, which bothers me, but for the first natural I am very pleased.

Attached Files:

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I like it :)

Keep making em slings

J

3. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Thank you, definitely will do that :D

4. xXdoomXx

I like its chunky ness

J

5. xXdoomXx

Any bands on it if yes does it shoot well or what do you plan on adding (bands)

J

6. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I am currently in my break from work so no bands, do not have time for cutting them right now

Black flatbands (same as the Black and Red on has)

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Found yourself a nice one, mvd!!! Did you get it from the fire? Is that the cause of the darkened areas on the wood? I like the wood color a lot!!!! Seems strong, solid! Too bad that your picture doesn't give size notion.

8. Love the slingshot , espesially the grain. If you are still unhappy with the marks then just sand it with your roughest grit till the marks go away then restart the process.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

10. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice Work :D I look forward to your next one ;)

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looks like a very nice piece of work! A good fork as well, looks like it will sit very comfortably in the hand. Well done!

12. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

Big Red

A few weeks ago, I shared a post regarding a natural fork I found beached on a river bank. (I have no idea what type of wood it is... )

Here's the link to that post ------> CLICK HERE

Despite the emerging of a few mystery cracks towards the end of the project; specifically when I was sealing it with a polyurethane finish; I am happy with the end result.

The fork required a lot of epoxy for the filling of knot holes & a few minor cracks...

I played a bit with color and opted to give the piece a rescued antique-like look.

I named it BIG RED. Its got a great feel, it's very ergo, and would make a great side ("butterfly") shooter in my opinion.

I plan to band it using THB red & a red suede pouch.

(I am going to use red mostly for aesthetics & am not sure how THB red will perform BUT will try anyway for the sake of experiment.)

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

13. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Please stop hijacking my thread about MY slingshot, Thank you

14. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Thank you Raul.
    No, I found it on the fire wood pile of the neighbour, I think the darker area is the grain of the elm but I am no expert on this. The measurements are 17cm high with about 10cm of main grip and 10cm fork width, shootable in the sideway-support style. The picture with the measurements shows the slinghot without the beeswax finish. The bands are for showing, I am to tired to securely cut any bands with a razorsharp tool.

Thank you, I am aware of that. Point is I only got this sandpaper at home and this build was nowhere near planned. Also I did not have time to go and buy sandpaper because of my work...I got home just now.

Thank you Will.
    Despite its chunkiness its very comfortable

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  15. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

The rasp made it look a little rough. I use a rasp then a file to clean it up. But it is still a great slingshot and my first natural was half as good.

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

If the knife marks bother you, spend more time with 60 or 80 grit wrapped around a rolled up or folded newspaper It functions as a smooth rasp. A round rasp makes a flat surface and a flat one make a round surface. but with this you can smooth or shape. Nice lil pickle.

17. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

As I said no such sandpaper in my home, but thanks for the tip with the newspaper. Wouldn't have thought of that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  18. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I banded it up properly, 10mm Steel Butterfly Bands

Attached Files:

19. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Now I can see the shape!!! Man, I like it even more now! The assimetry makes it incredible!!! I like the thick grip!!! 5 to 4 cm, as I calculate right. Really really nice!

20. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Sweet natural.

My experience with splitting elm crotches for firewood tells me you have a bombproof fork. We had to go the store to buy two more splitting wedges because the four we owned were stuck tight. Wonderful siniewey stuff like hickory.

What's wrong with knife marks? Many beautiful woodcarvings are covered in them, but then its called "texturing" and you charge more for it.:D