The Triangular noble yew natural

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by LW, Jan 13, 2014.

1. LW

LW New Member

So this is my last try on building a slingshot. I never spend so much time on thinking about the details before starting to build this one.

And in the end it was finished in my head, but I was unable to bring it on paper or even to make a working blueprint.

Also I was not sure about the material. My first thought was an easy to work with rather unimpressive material,
    because I knew the form would be very complex and I don’t want the material in competition with the form.

Multiplex or Ply has too much lines when shaping and I was not sure about the result.
    And also not a suitable form for my typical micarta lamination I did the last time.

So I took one of my last yew forks out of my box and began to draw some imprecise outlines and start rasping cutting and shaping.

Yew01.jpg

Actually the Forks are not really triangular, because convex and concave rounding’s looks much nicer on them.
    The benefit of the front radius on the Fork tips gives me an additional 2mm for Band width.

Yew02.jpg

I am able to attach bands with 30 mm on the fork.

Yew03.jpg

As you can see on the pictures, the forks have concave shape on the right side of the fork (for my thump)
    and a more convex shape (for my forefinger) on the left side. This fits perfect to my support shooting style.

Yew05.jpg

Yew06.jpg

The whole design of the slingshot is pointed forward. I held the slingshot with an outstretched pointed forward left hand.
    This gives me an additional band length from about 5 to 7 cm.
    But the biggest advantage is the low stress on the wrist with this (pointed forward) style for heavy bands.

Yew07.jpg

For this kind of shooting I had to cut the back of the fork tips at an extreme angle to avoid to much friction on the bands.

Yew08.jpg

The triangular shape of the Grip fits perfect in my Hand. The arc on the back works like a palm swell and
    the corner on the front give me a very solid grip on the handle. Looks and works a bit like a pistol grip.

Yew09.jpg

Yew12.jpg

Yew13.jpg

The end cap is walnut, 1,5 mm Aluminum and 2 mm orange paper micarta.

Sorry for so much text to read, but I wanted to clarify it took me so long to come out with this.
    I put a lot of thinking (in Germany we say Gehirnschmalz / gray matter) in it.

I'm always surprised and delighted by the haptics of a fine sanded and oiled Yew fork.
    It feels soft and so solid on the other hand. It is a really magic wood.

I hope you like this one as much as I do.

Criticism is always welcome, as long as it is constructive.

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

All I can say is Damn, that is finer than a Brazilian beachfork! Amazing natural LW.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yew is a beautiful wood anyway but your use of it....wow!

The angular form born out of functionality is outstanding. The endcap, the level of finish, the fact it was all done without blueprints. A truely excellent piece of work.

I can't see a single thing I don't like on this. Fantastic!

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

Beautiful two thumbs up!!!

5. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

That is a beautiful slingshot! The form and the grain are stunning and together with the laminated endcap.....no words for such a beauty.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

amazing work dude, i think i am in love with this wonderfull creation :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Stunning! Just stunning!

8. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

I think it´s your most beautiful natural until now.
    The endcap gives it a very classic and valueable look without drawing too much attention away from that beautiful shaping.

I´d really love to see pics of that warm and natural wood in it´s natural surrounding. I have to admit i´m not a big fan of sterile product-photo like settings.
    You might say that will draw too much attention away from the fork again...i´d say that depends and i would like to see it anyway :p

9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I'll never tire of looking at that beauty! The detail is fascinating and most artistic. I'm glad you posted all the pictures, a masterpiece!

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

That right there is functional art!
    I love the shape, the colour.... Oh hell I love the whole thing!!
    Awesome work man!

11. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Now I beg you to pardon me, my friend LW!

This is ridiculous!
    Using words and photos to describe this mhh..? permutation of
    a rubber powered shooting device is pointless; To the
    same degree that holding it in one´s hand teaches anybody (who
    is granted those moments of bliss..) the utmost perfection of
    ergonomics, beauty and power combined with top-end craftsmanship.

This outstanding piece of design was the hardest to let go I
    ever was allowed to touch. And yes, at the same time there´s
    that sadness of not personally owning this perfect piece of art!
    The only thing that gives solace about it is to take pride in
    it´s inventor - which would be you!

Thanks for bringing this to life, thanks for sharing!

Be

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Fantastic stuff LW, I really like the multi layered endcap

13. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

You hit this one right out of the park, LW! I love the form on top of my favorite wood. It looks to be the perfect form to shoot exactly where you point your finger!!! The end cap is super classy, beautiful work!

14. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

15. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

That is unreal. After looking at yours, it makes me want to go throw the one I am working on in the trash. GREAT JOB !

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

What the h.......!!
    How could you! Now I want one lust like it! And I'll never be able to get something like that! Amazing! Genious!
    And the yew aways stuns me!! A strong personality wood. I bow in respect!

17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This one hit me like a thousand bricks! This is truly fantastic work!
    I'm very jealous of both your skill and your imagination and creativity! To see this slingshot come out of that fork...mind blowing stuff sir!

18. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Truly a work of art!

19. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Having no plan is usually the best way to let the wood lead. Very impressive.