"The Swallow"

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by kohlqez, Nov 29, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Third slingshot, second natural, first decent sling:D
    Second fork courtesy of Bushmaster, "The Swallow" is made from locust wood (I think) with a woven walnut bamboo flooring sample endcap (free flooring samples rock!) I dried it with Joerg's microwave method (bark off 600 watts 90 second bursts with at least an hour in between) The spiral handle I did by hand with my rasp, I think that turned out nicely. The pattern inside the spiral and the one on the endcap are burned in using a soldering iron. Sanded it up to 1200 grit so it's really smooth and finished it with Tung oil (forgot to wipe it down first though so it has some ugly smudges:() I call it "The Swallow" because I think the forks look like a swallow's tail. Looks like it's a little weak but it holds up to my one layer of TBG nicely but I'm not going to push it and go for more power.
    Anyway lemme know what you think, I'm always happy to hear any compliments or criticisms (preferably constructive ones) you may have!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Good job! I like the spiral and burn details. The cap is a nice contrast also.

4. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

keeping busy building is always nice, isnt it:)

5. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This is a cool slingshot!
    The pattern and the spiral are a great idea.
    Well done. :)

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Absolutely love the burn pattern.

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

The handle isn't too comfortable, but it looks good and that's what's important:D
    The burn pattern isn't hard to do but you have to be really careful and take your time. This was going to be my entry for the 1hr slingshot challenge but I went over time by probably 3 or 4 hours

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

you simply cant make a good sling in an hour... my opinion. The spiral details.rock. Looks like a path.

9. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Glad everyone likes it. I was also really happy with the endcap home depots got some great free solid bamboo flooring samples. Most of the other samples are plywood though
    Let me know if you want me to show you how I did the spiral

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  11. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Very interesting slingshot... It gives me some ideas as well. Nice design!

Now show us a picture of the car!

-Wild Bill

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very nice details. The spiral give a twist effect, i like it. Nice job and finish.

13. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

nice SS! Is that car in the background yours? Have you picture from that car?

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

15. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

It's mine in the future, dad's right now. '72 El Camino I'll get a pic for you soon.
    Tilia it's "The Swallow" because it's from a fork courtesy of Bushmaster that came down like a snowbird, there's "The Warbler," "The Swallow," and "The Kestrel" (which sadly didn't survive due to my saw catching a wormhole) all named after birds that migrate to South Florida, and so collectively they are "The Snowbirds" I wish I could take credit for that but it was Bushmaster's idea

16. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Great looking shooter!