The SlingaLaunch - A Drill Powered Machine Gun

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, Aug 13, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

In eight days (August 22nd), one of the most interesting crowd funding campaigns ever will end. The Slingatron, a launcher that uses the methods employed by the ancient "david sling" to launch small objects into the orbit.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/391496725/the-slingatron-building-a-railroad-to-space

It is far from completion, and I want to give it a boost. This weekend, my adaption will premiere on YouTube. You guys get a preview, as always - the priviledges of fellow forum members.

Here is my "SlingaLaunch"!

This sample is experimental, very small (just 50cm is diameter). It is powered by a drill. Inside of the thing, there is a lever that rotates, and a track system that is "chambered" for 25 mm steel balls.

The track system allows the lever to "gently" accelerate the steel ball to the exit velocity, which is significant - even in this small scale model. I haven't found a single steel ball back that I have launched with it so far :)

[​IMG]

Here you see into the "muzzle", with a steel ball just about to exit.

[​IMG]

This is the lever that has just shot out the ball.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the spiral like tracks.

[​IMG]

These are the cutouts - one heck of a saw job for sure. The tracks (negatives of these) have been filed and sanded of course.

[​IMG]

It works great. Now I have to make the bullet feeder, to turn this beast into a full auto steel ball launcher. I hope the video will bring in some money for the guys! Using slingshot technology to launch stuff into space? I HAVE to suppport them.

2. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

interesting concept. means there are 2 or more balls in the "barrel" at the same time?

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Tysonspapa, I haven't decided on the shot frequency yet. Theoretically yes, there could be several balls in the machine at the same time. I am a bit afraid that this would lower the power too much. I might end up settling for two or three shots per second. But that isn't easy.

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Cool :) hope to see more awesome stuffs from you joerg :)

J

5. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

hm, the power should come from the rpm of the drill, right? means, the higher the rpm, the more powerfull the shot?

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is quite a project, and just looking at the precision cuts required is exhausting. The design looks like it is capable of producing great power. I'm looking forward to seeing the video and watching this in action

7. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

You could cut the spirals very neatly by placing a bar in the middle of a round disk with a string attached to it. Attatch the other side of the string on a router and rotate the router around the bar. The string will get shorter with every rotation and the router will cut a spiral.

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yes. Of course the acceleration and power of the drill is also important. A long transmission would lead to high revs, but those would go down very much as soon as there is a ball in the system.

So quality drills with lots of Watts and RPMs are needed. Mine is a medium hobby grade 710 Watts model.

Maybe I should get a Metabo 1300 Watt model... that one can do 1000 RPM even under full strain.

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That is exactly the method I employed for drawing the spirals with a pencil. My center bar was 1,3 cm in diameter, setting the spirals 4cm apart. 27mm (track) and 13mm (wood).

The 25mm balls need some tolerance, so I gave them 2mm play.

10. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

By the way, how did you manage to get that 30mm round hole in your new wooden wall outside? I thought those planks were really tough?

11. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

Wow that looks like a lot of work and it is certainly very interesting! I'm really looking foreward to see that in action! I guess it will be awsome :D

12. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I'm too distracted by your awesome car.

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I think that yours will work better than theirs. That is just silly.

14. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

They won't make it, and their video set me off a bit it seemed too unproffesional for their goal. I feel kind of bad for them. A great goal.

15. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It'll be interesting to see what happens after my video is out.

16. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I await your video with suspense, Jörg. I think this is an interesting way of ground to space transportation. The question is, will it be more cost effective than rockets?

17. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I think this Slingatron project is a fantastic idea! Did you see the "Test-Launch" video?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snYAbkGWyzQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snYAbkGWyzQ[/ame]

Fantastic work by these guys!

18. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Thank you for Sharring this my Friend!
    Great Work. That look really Interesting and I look forward to your Video! :cool:

19. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I didn't understand the concept but after reading it 10 times I understood it XD

J

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8G7atCFSQ[/ame]