The sling fist

Discussion in 'Crazy contraptions' started by slingfist, Dec 30, 2011.

1. slingfist

slingfist New Member

Hello slingshot channel forum. I currently do warm-up exercises with a thick black rubber tie-down strap that I found at my workplace garage. It was too stretchy to be a good tie-down strap anymore, but it still requires a very strong pull, so I do basic arm, shoulder and back exercises with it. I also use it for intense cardio exercises, and for fun punching a boxing bag. When I punch a boxing bag with it I extend a jab with my left hand while holding my right hand back against resistance. Then when I release my right hand an effortless and fast punch is delivered. This is what I call the sling fist method. I offer this idea to the slingshot channel forum to develop, and perhaps for JoergS to develop as well. I am a tall lean fellow, and not stocky built like Jeorg. I would be interested to see how effective this method is with his particular force-velcocity curve. <br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>slingfist

2. slingfist

slingfist New Member

This idea was posted in all seriousness. The idea of using stored power in an elastic band from a defensive arm extension to assist in throwing an offensive punch with the other is a concept that should be developed. This may seem like poor slingshooting form, but it is really subtly different. When slingshooting the pulling hand is drawn back from the slingshot that is held in a forward extended hand. In the slingfist method the hand that is to be propelled forward is held back while the other hand is extended in a defensive manner, this action stretches the band. Then when the hand that is to be launched is released from its isometric resistance it fires forward towards the target. When standing in orthodox fighting position this is a very natural type of movement. The key to this idea is that if the initial acceleration of the punch can be increased beyond what can be thrown without the aid of the device than the net force of the punch will be greater all other things remaining equal. This device also guarantees a certain quantity of acceleration every time while ones own arm unassisted may not.

3. Kill3rGreen

Kill3rGreen New Member

Good idea in theory but I am sure you would rethink it first time you broke your wrist connecting solidly with target. It could work but not any better than just being trained in proper body stance and using your weight to add force into the punch.