The Scout - Hardwood

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by tivo532, Dec 23, 2013.

1. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

I like The Scout and made one from Hardwood. Still thinking if I really need to drill a hole and guide for the TTF. It's nice the way it is now. I'll do another one that really looks like The Scout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Really nice, what is the palm swell?

3. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

It's from the same board. Lumber Liquidator label is Tobacco Road Teak. I really like color after the BLO bath. Cheers!

4. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Here's another shot/view:
    [​IMG]

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

That is a very nice piece of work you got there any tips for a beginner I also like the scout just want to make my own

6. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Hi codido! Thanks. Nothing really special. I'm also new to this hobby. I've been reading the forum to get ideas on how to do it yourself. Members are very helpful in providing their inputs.

Some inputs I got so far. Don't use regular construction plywood and particle board for flooring. Recommended are Baltic Birch plywood and solid hardwood (flooring material). Wood grain should run vertically if not multiplex or plywood. Use Boiled Linseed Oil for the finish. And keep reading! Cheers!

7. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you for the informative reply also do you use a jigsaw, router or what is the most precise tool to use and how did you make that beautiful handle

8. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

I use a coping saw to cut the trace from the template. Then use rasp, file and rotary tool like dremel to shape and sandpaper to finish.

As for the handle, I trace the handle shape to another wood. Here you can be creative. You can use different wood or different layers of different wood glued to the handle. File to shape. When done apply the Boiled Linseed oil to the fork. Most here submerge the whole fork to the oil for a day to two. Cheers!

9. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Also very important to avoid losing valuable teeth--the bench testing.

clamp it in a vise and see that it will withstand weight hanging from the forks. Laminating two boards together with the grain crossing is a popular way to make your own 2-layer plywood and get strength both directions.
    I never want my face to find out first if a fork is weak...

your shaping work and finish look great, keep 'em coming:cool:

edit:just noticed how the TTF grooves were there in the original board--thats pretty damn clever and handy.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  10. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Great work, a really nice shooter.
    Anyway, test it for strength(as you should do with every SS.)

11. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks Achso! I've been looking for a standard test on the fork and can't find it. Can you please guide me on how one do the fork strength test?
    A common method would be great so we can compare each design/material. Cheers!

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you everyone for your great advice I hope to be making a slingshot very soon im waiting for my free hardwood deck samples on the mail ahaha

13. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

@tivo: wrap the handle in a towel, clamp it in the vice with two pieces of scrap wood for protection,
    attach a paracord loop instead of rubber and use all your weight to apply tension to the whole setup.
    When it holds, have fun shooting it!

14. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks Achso! I'll try that. Cheers!

15. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Got some time and made another one using scrap/odd size multiplex. Little bit shorter on the fork but turned out to be OK on my hand. Just sharing. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Pacific Mahogany and Multiplex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Tivo,

You are getting to it very quickly!- Respect for that!
    What I´ve seen so far looks pretty nice!- You have
    the right "eyes" and hands for sculpturing!

Keep going, thanks for sharing!

Greetings,

Be

18. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks Be! This forum gave me a lot of ideas and help. I see a lot of nice SS in here that I like to build. Saving to buy a Scroll saw! Cheers!

19. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very very nice! Great work!

20. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Great work! I can see you have a lot of skill!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app