The Priest Slingshot - natural fork with ergonomic design

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by dannytsg, Jun 23, 2013.

1. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Okay so here is one from today:

It started off with a mammoth tree fork that measured 3.5 inches in diameter at the base and each fork measured 2 inches in diameter.

I first started off removing the bark and then doing 6 courses of microwave treatment to start artificially drying out the wood. Then I set about carving. All the work seen has been done by hand using hand tools only consisting of a stanley knife, kershaw half ton knife, wood saw and sand paper.

I have spent a total of 8 hours carving, whittling and sanding to get it to the stage shown below. It is now having it's final heat treatment in the oven and then will be finished with a coat of yacht varnish which is waterproof and very hard wearing.

In case you are wondering why it's called the priest it's because I have designed it with big old hunting in mind. Because it is very large and heavy it is both a catapult AND acts as a priest for finishing off any quarry.

Feel free to ask any questions.

[​IMG]
    Starting point - Stanley knife gives a sense of scale

[​IMG]
    Rough shaping has begun using my Kershaw

[​IMG]
    Even more shaping, note all the wood shavings on the floor.

[​IMG]
    Marked for rough cutting to length

[​IMG]
    Rough cut to length I now started shaping it into an ergonomic shape. I did this by marking around my thumb, forefinger and pinky finger and then started carving the contoured recesses. I only did these three fingers as they are principally the only ones used when holding a catapult against the pull of the elastic.

[​IMG]
    Photo showing it in my open hand

[​IMG]
    Photo showing it in my closed hand. Note how my fingers recess nicely into the hammer grip.

[​IMG]
    And this is the final article after sanding. It still looks a little rough but |I really like the rustic look.

Next is a final oven heat treatment and then a coat of clear yacht varnish.

My intention is to equip this with triple layer theraband gold tapered from 25-15mm either side. This will give me massive power but be able to maintain accuracy.

Cheers

Dan

2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Wow, that thing is huge!

It looks very nice, but it might be a tad to big. I doubt you can handle the strain on the wrist of three layers of TB Gold with such a long leverage!

That said, it is obvious that a lot of work went into this one, it looks nice! Good job ;)

3. Nice and great work and slingshot!

Big slingshot.

Joe

4. Moin Moin,
    a Monster...... two Hand Slingshot...?

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I am with Failure on this one. Sure, it is a lot of carving/sanding work you did there. All by hand tools i can do but not without rasps and files:eek:. Respect!!!

6. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Thanks guys. I will fit it with double TGB first and try it out. Even though it is big it's fits perfectly in my hand due to me carving it to my grip.

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I don't even think you need to put bands on this! Simply hold it up above your head in a field of rabbits and then go scoop up the ones that died of fear! :D
    Nice work, it does look very clean

8. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Whoa, that's a zombie killer.

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Now that's a HUGE fork...... I think you should get yourself bigger hands!;)

10. dannytsg,

i have a question.

Why is the name of your Slingshot Priest?

Did it pray before or when you shoot? :D

Joe

11. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

We use something called a "priest" to hit animals on the head when hunting if they haven't been killed outright.

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice slingshot, i first thought you would make it with a weighted handle, that would make a fair bit smaller.

just wondering here, would it be called a priest because it is the last thing the animal sees before it dies?

13. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Wow that´s a lot of wood. Like onnod said a little bit smaller would be better.
    And the dimensions of the bandset will look more nicely to the fork. Or will you assemble a big bandset?
    In Germany we say, to drive a big car, is like a Penis substitute.
    Only a joke.;)

14. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

In the UK when we go hunting or fishing we take a heavy metal or wooden rod called a priest. The reason for this as if you catch a fish or wound an animal you then use it to hit the animal on the head and kill it outright. Due to the weight of the handle on this I will use it as a slingshot and a priest.

@slingpit - we have the same saying in the UK. I have children so now I need to compensate lol

15. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i am familiar with the purpose of a priest, i have (a very nice) one (it's made from antelope horn and i think a very nice piece of apple wood, weighted down with a metal core) in my fishing kit and i've used it to kill countless fish before cleaning them, , works a lot better than my hands(tho that works too) also i've seen them being used on game, but not too often, guess the guys where i get invited are good shots.

the thing i was wondering about was where the name comes from, in the old days when you were dying they would call a priest for the last blessing, right? a priest is also the last thing an animal would see before it hits him. i thought maybe the names are related.

16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I saw a Gamekeeper video where they went hunting at night. He "finished" a bird that way with the handle of a metal slingshot. Not sure but i think it was a copper one...

17. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Onnod - I assume that is correct. A priest would read the last rights to a dying person before they passed away so I guess that's where the terminology came from.

18. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

Danny, that is freaking enormous! It might be better used for buffalo of such.:D (Maybe one of the 7' + crowd would find a way to manage it lol) Good luck and let us know how it shoots!

19. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Once I have bands on it and tested ill get a video up of it shooting.

20. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I might be wrong about who posted that vid, i can' t find it anymore:eek: