the POM monster

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by LW, Aug 24, 2013.

1. LW

LW New Member

OK, now some of you discovered some old slingshots of me, but there are still a lot new ones I have not posted :p

The last weeks I made some Prototypes and I experimented with new Material (for me) made some micarta and other stuff...

But this is my first Slingshot completely out of plastic. The Material is called “POM” – Polyoxymethylen also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in the industries for precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability.

You can buy this on ebay as plates or rods in white and black..
    POM.jpg

Sandpaper and all other tools should be very sharp, otherwise the material "lubricates" during the working process. The surface is like wax, of course, much harder. It is almost indestructible.

Forget to make a nice clean finish; working with 600 grids upwards brings no results. I then tried to flame it, is not much better.

Maybe some of you just worked with this material and can give me some Tips…?

I am still not ready with it, but was curious and put some bands on and shoot it.
    I shoot a lot at the moment. Try to shoot an hour every day. As I am fortunate to have many slingshots, I always shoot 5-8 different.

This is how it can look like on a shooting session:
    tisch.jpg

And what can I say… my ugliest shooter is my best shooter since now…:D

Have a look...:D

POM01.jpg
    POM03.jpg
    POM04.jpg
    POM05.jpg

So what you think…?

2. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Looks really Beautifull! I look forward to your next Plastic Sling Shots. ;)

3. artons

artons New Member

Cool, really cool
    It's an intresting material, i haven't heard much about it.
    It's a kind of misterious material
    However, nice slingshots! I always wanted to have a daily hour of shooting, but i haven't woods very close. Lucky you!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ok, I triple-checked that this is a new thread!!
    I am not familiar with the material at all, but I see great possibilities available! I really like the design of the shooter, looks like it sits nicely in the hand. Looking forward to your continuing experiments with this. Great work!

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Amazing! I just have one doubt.......which of those should be your ugliest slingshot? I can't see any ugly slingshots!

6. Otees

Otees Another Member

Nice slingshots. Is the material like HDPE?

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I looked and looked. I guess the ugly slingshot is being blocked Coz I can't see it.

8. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

Acetal works well with tooling and such, but it doesn't abrade well. Since it's a tough plastyic versus being hard, like acrylic/polycarbonate/polyester resins/etc, getting a smooth surface is tricky. It will smooth out with sanding, but will have more of a tactile grip to it instead of a polished feel.

It's strong too. Tensile and impact strength are awesome.

9. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

Good looking ergo shooter.
    Nice collection.
    I don't see an ugly one either.

10. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

The shape is nice. Looks a bit like a Wingshooter.
    If you want a uniform looking surface and you can´t get any results with sandpaper maybe scew the "shine" and sandblast it?

11. Moin moin,
    aussehen ist ---- man kann nur sagen OK ----

Scheint handlich zu sein!!!

Frage: Wie ist POM beim verarbeiten? Ist das Material, wegen der hohen Gleitwerte, besser zu dem Latex? Also Quitscht das Latex, wenn es darüber gezogen wird? Oder Gleitet es besser darauf?

Sende am besten eine PM, als Kopie, hier ist ja im moment so viel los, sonst übersehe ich event. deine Antwort, und es würde mich wirklich Interessieren.

MoinMoin
    look is ---- you can only say OK ----

Seems to be handy!

Question: What is the POM process? If the material, because of the high friction coefficients, the better latex? Therefore the latex squeaks when it is dragged over it? Glides or better it?

Send a PM is best, as a copy, so here's so much going on at the moment, otherwise I overlooked event. your answer, and it would be really interesting.

12. Obelix

Obelix Delete

You did a very great job. Pom is in germany an expensive plastic and Remaining pieces and hard to get. Nice slingshots. Thumb up.

13. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Me too.
    Even if I wear my ugliest glasses, i can´t find anything ugly.

14. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Amazing LW! Very nice shape. I am with Antraxx - forget the glossy shine. I would go on a flat surface by sandblasting or maybe it is a nice object for swirl painting...

15. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

That looks amaaaaaaaazing

J

16. LW

LW New Member

Thank you again for all your kind words…

------

Well, every day I do not succeed, but I try to shoot as much as possible
    There are still so many mysteries out there, and we need to explore it…:D

Me too…:D

Correct, on the table you'll find no ugly slingshot ... I meant the slingshot in the post itself, because of its ugly surface…:eek:
    But…any homemade slingshot is like a child to me, and of course not ugly!!!

Yes and no, they are both thermoplastics, but there are some significant differences:
    HDPE
    Temperature resistance,
    continuous operating temperature of -50 ° C to +70 ° C
    0.95 g / cm ³
    cost less

POM
    Temperature resistance,
    continuous operating temperature -50 ° C to +110 ° C
    1.41 g / cm ³
    high rigidity, high mechanical strength and hardness
    not quite so cheap

it is thus much higher quality than HDPE.
    cons:
    you cannot(almost) glue it, or seal the surface - But no need for it, because it is resistant to almost everything.

100% correct

Yes sandblasting it is a very nice idea, thank you, sometimes things are so close and you don’t see it…:rolleyes:

As I wrote Antraxx, sandblasting is the way, I thing swirl paint will not work, because this material is so nasty, the color would dissolve in seconds. But I will try the swirl painting on another model.

17. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice work LW! When I look at it I think of coffee... :)

18. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I used to mill many parts of this plastic, brand name Delrin.

Different specimens have different hardness. The more brittle it is the stronger the formaldehyde stink during machining that heats it up.

You can get an OK satin shine using red scotch brite, but a polished gloss I only saw from rigid machining with new carbide endmills.

My favorite tool to deburr this stuff is a 1 inch paint scraper. It makes music as a sharp hand tool cuts it.

The slingshot you made out it is something special. I think it looks great, and a bit of texrure maybe will give a better grip.

19. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

missed this one too, very nice LW!!

20. CEZ

CEZ New Member

That's cool, I wanna see it sandblasted!