The 'PHIONIX' An adapted Phoenix design for Pinewood

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Otees, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Otees

Otees Another Member

When I was looking at some of Joerg's older videos I saw the "Phoenix design."
    photo 2.jpg

247 (2).jpg

image.jpg
    This was the template. It says use multiplex only but I wanted to try and see what would happen with pinewood since I was bored.

Once again I used that old pine shelf from my first post https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/only-hand-saw-sand-paper-rasp-first-slingshot-30262/#post215424

Pine shelf.jpg

It is weak but the only wood I had. I positioned the fork so the grain was sideways to hopefully stop it from cracking due to the grain(Probably won't do much. The shelf was also not wide enough to fit the full design so a screw was mounted. There is a horizontal part in the fork so the screw could sit flat an adapted part. (I had to make use of what I had, just like the baby oil.)
    242.jpg

image - Copy.jpg

I had to change the design slightly for it to work. Sorry Joerg if I am offending you in some way, I do not mean to steal your design I just had to make the top flatter. Also I had to cut along the dotted line to fit it onto the pine board.

Since I had no epoxy I used liquid nails and put some glue on the screw and the hole. I screwed it in with my knife not a drill. (Victorinox soliders knife 08)
    I know it is not perfect as it is my second slingshot but hopefully practice will make them better. Please leave some tips if you can.

The side profile 244.jpg

Generally, this went pretty well. It was really soft and smooth after I finished it. I used baby oil as nothing else was here. Its essentialy mineral oil with fragrance. The baby oil highlights the grain pretty well. Its sturdy and the shape is alright considering I had a handsaw and a rasp only. In some of the images I had a duct tape pouch that I replaced with leather. It can shoot 10/10 from 15m away at a 10cmx7cm target (Im a beginner) so its considerably accurate. I used 107 rubber bands as I had no theraband. I think I did a better job this time than my other post, maybe due to a simpler design. Please leave some tips if possible. Thanks,
    Alex
    247 (2).jpg
    The 'Phionix' with my knife

2. Otees

Otees Another Member

In the first pic I forgot to trim the rubber

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Creative use of the materials you got :) Nice work.

If you have a file on the Victorinox, maybe you could round the edges a bit. Also, naturals are a cheap (They are free :D ) way to plausibly very nice slingshots.

I have a Victorinox too, (Model name is 'HandyMan' ) that I carry in my pocket every day :) )

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great work!! The choices you made to redesign the fork was very smart. Keep up the good work, and please keep sharing!

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thank for the tips. I should get a file it would be useful. Victorinox knives are awesome aren't they.

6. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Will, your comments are very encouraging. I am planning to make more and hopefully share them.

7. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Surprising material and woodwork, causes emotional feedback sometimes. Thanks.

Look here, found a smiley contest:
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] :O=
    The right way.

8. Otees

Otees Another Member

Lol thanks and does that smiley mean im sick coz they all are green and puking

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Nice interpretation, works well.

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

11. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks onnod

12. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

They really are! :) But I miss a flashlight-function on my model... That's why I also always carry an Asaklitt Multitool (Nordic cheap-o version of Leatherman).

13. Otees

Otees Another Member

Yeah, lucky i have a fake swiss army knife from santorini tht my dad got me when i was 12 it was my first one.

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Liquid nails is surprisingly tough. You should be in good shape between that and orienting your grain the way you did.

I like to give any ss hell at the vise before testing it toward my real face. Forks coming at me is a bad mental image.

Can't wait to see your creations when your materials catch up with your resourcefulness--nice work!

15. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks mate I appreciate the comments. Your right about the fork I am a bit nervous about it, so im using a weaker beginner band set. Hopefully the next trip to the hardware store (next holidays still got 10 weeks) will help me create better stuff.

16. Otees

Otees Another Member

Btw i suscribed to your channel

17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

If you get some time, you should think about doing some scouting for a natural fork to build a shooter from. Its much cheaper that way and you can shape it very nicely with just your knife. That way you don't have to wait for a hardware store trip

18. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks for the tip Will, iwent into the bush next to my house (karawatha forest) and got 2 forks i built a simple natural and now im attempting my first moorhammer from a natural fork. Its that same wood from my first post but i got a pic from the tree. I will show them when i finish the moorhammer.