The Other - Gypsum Qeen :)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by G_Y, Jul 10, 2013.

1. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

As the rosewood runner disappeared i needed a new one, quick.
    Woodworking is loud and needs some power, this time it should be silent and easy so i thought about laminating an older, thin hammerhead with a handle from cast/plaster/gypsum for testing material and ergonomic design.

Lemon juice or vinegar are good to make the open working time in gypsum longer. A spoonful per litre is ok, much more and the waiting time could be long and the acid darkens the material.
    Another helpful thing could be salt, it hardens the gypsum, one spoon per litre.
    I put on the mix from gypsum, water and lemonjuice, then one layer of mull and squeezing the handle for ergonomic design. The photos will show the rest:

Attached Files:

• 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
    • o1.jpg
      o1.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
    • o2.jpg
      o2.jpg
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
    • o3.jpg
      o3.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice work!! Very interesting, I have never worked with gypsum before (well, except in the form sheetrock/drywall boards).
    The last picture reminds me of either a mummy (cool) or getting a cast put on a fractured bone (not cool). Either way, very unique!

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Seems like a cast brace indeed. For orthopaedics use we have the cloth already imbued with the plaster, you just have to add some water....

Attached Files:

4. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Has anyone made one out of this without another material inside, or a coat-hanger wire skeleton?

Those add water rolls might be really handy in the apocalypse, duct tape made of stone!:cool:

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I'll try tomorrow and send some feedback.