The One Knife Every Day Thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by JoergS, Jun 28, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Most people know about my obsession with rubber based weapons, but in fact I love blades, too.

Over the years I have assembled quite a collection and thought I'd show it to you guys. To make this more interesting I will try to present one knife every day, as long as it lasts (which will be quite a while).

After I am through, I hope that maybe one of the other knife lovers here will take over and present HIS collection. Ideally, this thread can go on for a loooong time.

Anyway, here is my first one. A Fairbairn-Sykes dagger, with a folded blade. The handle seems to be brass, and probably was gold plated some time ago.

The weapon is not in perfect shape. The blade is a bit pitted, and the gold plating is worn off in places. The blade is sharp and the tip very pointy, though...

The sheath is leather, and does not match the knife in general. The button on the latch says "Great Seal Of The State Of Oklahoma", followed by a year that could be 1901. Of course the FS dagger wasn't designed before 1941, so this is a clear mismatch.

Overall it is a nice piece, unusual enough for my collection. The handle is too small for my meaty paw, though - but that is generally the case with FS daggers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. artons

artons New Member

it's a damascus blade or just a slimple decoration?
    however, very beautiful knife!

3. LW

LW New Member

What a nice Idea!

Love to see your blades... And your first one is very impressive. Actually I do not like leather sheaths, but this one is very beautiful.

Can we show some of our knifes by answering you Thread? Or do you prefer making a new Thread?

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool idea and nice dagger!

5. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Very good thread, Joerg!
    It's a very beautiful and cool dagger.
    We all will definitely enjoy seeing your great collection. :)

6. Very nice damast steel dagger

Joe

7. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Nice dagger Joerg.

I will happily post some of my home-made and bought blades up too once you have finished.

Dan

8. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice Idea and Really nice Blade :D
    1+

9. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Realy nice blade and handle.

10. Cool! Can we post our own homade knifes here?

11. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Awesome, this looks extremely nice! The knife; wow a beauty :)

12. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

I would participate in this thread but I only have swords and one bowie combo-survival knife (of course with the cruddy rat-tail tang.) So I think I won't exactly qualify for this thread. But I am enjoying the blades I'm seeing.

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

You can always present your knives in an own thread. The idea of this one is to present one knife per day. I will start and show off maybe 30 of my blades, then one of you can take ovet.

14. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

great looking dagger.

15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I think maybe the date is the founding year of Oklahoma state, and not a sign of a mismatch.

I like the idea of this post.

16. Neek95

Neek95 New Member

Joerg, just curious, as a knife person are you the type who cares about the steel quality, grind, temper, sharpness, etc?
    Reason I'm asking is because I have a 10 dollar carbon steel MORA knife which sharpens well, is super durable, and is much more useful than than any cool looking knife I've tried personally.

Looks great. Just wondering if they have function as well as form.

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't judge a knife based on specs. I judge it by testing it, as my personal results are much more important than words on a paper.

Here is today's knife - my Böker Smatchet. A limited edition product, 1200 units total. Mine is number 1111. I bought it maybe eight or ten years ago.

I love the heft and looks, plus the great quality.

Smatchets are very sharp, because of the flat, leaf like blade.

Next will be a folder, for a change!

PS: Had to use my camcorder for the pics today, my little Julia wanted the photo cam for her prom night yesterday... I wasn't in a state of mind to turn her down. She is my niece, lives with us for six years now and I feel like a dad to her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool!! what does smatchet stand for? or is it just the name?

19. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Really nice Blade :D 1+
    Looks quite Front Heavy, its a nice Hacking Maschine or?
    Definitely a good Brand that you can Recommend!
    And the Quality from your Pics is ok! As long you dont watch, from a Canvas ;)

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It is a hybrid between a Sword, a MAchete and a hatCHET - I guess that is the idea behind the name.

It isn't as front heavy as you might think - the blade is quite thin. It is fast enough for cutting and thrusting for sure. But it is an extremely well designed hacking instrument as well.