The one hour slingshot challenge!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Nov 11, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

So, I was reading Bighaze51s post the other day about his 30 minute PFS build and it got me thinking. What can people build if they were restricted on time?

The rules are really simple, the slingshot must be finished and banded up within one hour. That includes all drawing of templates, microwave drying, cutting, sanding, finishing and banding. If you want to use laminates, paint etc then drying time doesn't count but ALL work you physically do must fit within the one hour time frame.

I thought 30 minutes was too little time for people without power tools but an hour seems like a nice round number.

So, anyone up for the challenge? :D

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great idea VW! I think I may give it a shot. I probably can't do it until this next weekend though as I usually only get a little free build time on Saturday or Sunday. I could see attacking a natural in an hour. And power tools are allowed? Or would you restrict their use?

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Anything is allowed as long as the time is stuck to. I like the idea that there would be a big mix of styles. Everything from a natural made with a knife and sandpaper to a CNC milled titanium frame (maybe!). Tool set-up time counts towards the hour though!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

This is interesting....... But how to prove the building time?
    Fast motion video? Showing the watch each 15 minutes?

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Never even thought of that! Maybe Im too trusting?

6. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I found that is a great idea, not idea how to prove time ... anyway would worth a lot watching building ... I would need "moon minutes" lol !
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Filming the whole building, no pauses is the solution, showing a watch in the beggining and in the end. No cuts, and the watch remains in the wrist all the time. Edit the video to fast motion so it becomes possible to watch.....

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Well, I like the idea but I have no way of making or editing a video so everyone will have to take my word for it!

I look trustworthy...right? ;)

10. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

11. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Maybe I would kick your..
    but: how to do that w/o losing time for filming?
    I´d definitely like to accept that challenge, but
    being a part-time builder this would ideally match my schedule
    to be done before 2014-01-15..

I´ll have an eye on it!- if you´re too quick,
    according to all the construction ahead, it
    might compress fun a little.. I´ll wait and see!

Be

12. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

hey guys go ahead, I trust all of you ! again would be nice to watch how pro builders do !
    Cheers
    Arturo

13. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi Scooby,

Great idea you have. I can't participate this time, but if someone needs some help with the video editing I might can help.

Off topic [start] Liked your birds :) We have project here related to birds. Don't know how we can handle that but might happen I will contact with you about that. I don't know if it will be realized but maybe some day. Off topic [end]

Hope this thread will be popular!

Bests,
    Tremo

14. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

As far as a one-hour slingshot goes, I spent four hours yesterday just on hand-sanding a fork and I'm not even close to ready to finish sanding the blasted thing much less varnish; so no, I'm not in on a 'one hour SS build'. However, since I demonstrated my lack of skill in the art of video editing here...

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f11/wish-me-luck-31576/

...Any help you can offer I'll gladly accept.

-Wild Bill

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

If I can get an hour to work while the baby is sleeping I may be able to do this. I'll have to take many stills as I've not got a vid cam. We'll see where it goes from here but you have a good idea here scoobs;).

16. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Did this in an hour, easy natural.

Attached Files:

17. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

well i finished mine. i managed to make a design and transfer it to the wood before my time limit expired.

havnt shot it yet, although it feels good in the hand.

Attached Files:

18. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

19. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Do I see the beginnings of a Zombie slaying slingbow in that photo? :)

20. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Glad everyone likes the idea in general.

It doesn't matter what it looks like finished, I've got 11 hours invested in a Sycamore Hand Howitzer that isn't even nearly finished but that's not the point. Its about working with what you have for the hour. :)

I was thinking maybe run it until 1st December then the finished slingshot with the most likes wins a token prize? Some rubber, leather or something like that. What do people think?

Off topic- Tremoside, glad you like the birds :) If you want to have a chat about any projects just PM me and I'll pass on my business contact details.

Thanks

James