The official "Rifled slingshot ideas" thread

Discussion in 'The latest one!' started by JoergS, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

OK, this is the place to publish your ideas how to enhance the rifled slingshot (sewage twister) any further. The best idea will be named December 6th, 2013, and published here. Price is a Rambone with bandset!

Let's get to work.

2. vanakka

vanakka Amatuer Craftsman

I am already buying my own rambone, so please give it to someone who needs it more. My idea is to try and lower the diameter of the tube so that it will spin faster and hopefully with less warping and wobbling.

You should paint the top half of a steel ball black and the bottom white and film it on the high speed so we can see it spin!

I love watching you demonstrate your creations Joerg, keep it coming!

3. dpunisher

dpunisher New Member

arrow shooter

I could suggest a multiple ammo shooter like a gatling gun but that would tangle all the rubber band in place after all the shot fire then how about convert it into an arrow shooter use the toilet brush arrow to match the sewer namesake.:D

4. Divei5

Divei5 New Member

you should put it into the slingshot sepcion:D

5. SVNice

SVNice Please delete this profie

How about making the barrel firm so that it is more firm and does not wobble about so much.
    This could be done by attaching rubber bands around the tube making it be under tension or by attaching rings around the tube at different sections.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Another suggestion is to Lighten the cogs by making them hollow with struts rather then a solid circle to improve the RPM.

Maybe try firing darts or some thing along the lines of that.

[​IMG]

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

faster spin by adding a chainsaw engine... preferably a stihl MS 880

7. dutcharcher

dutcharcher New Member

reply rifle slingshot

hello joerg doesnt it work better if you somehow weld a nail like a shaft and fletchings to the steelbal so its like an arrow but stil a ball
    becouse then it wil twist like an arrow i think it wil still be a ball but only with fletchings greetings from dutcharcher

it would look something like this rifle shot.jpg

8. hytato

hytato New Member

my idea

My idea is possible making the ammo spiraled like a spiral football, or a buck for a shotgun. I love your videos, they should create a slingshot class you can take in colleges to get a major in slingshots.:D

9. ZoddTheHuman

ZoddTheHuman New Member

Align the inner parts of the tube better, that is place the center of mass of the slingshot on the center of the tube a bit better, to me it seems that is causing the wobbling. That and maybe a smaller diameter tube. Those two would allow for much greater rpm, without falling apart. thus, more fun! :)

10. Michael_Lewandoski

Michael_Lewandoski New Member

I noticed that there is a lot of room inside the Barrel so you could put a extra slingshot/band on top of the other one. and the barrels a bit flimsy so maybe thicker plastic and a cool paint job :D and you could make the pouch bigger and turn it into a shotgun/slingshot :D

Awesome work though!:D

11. lsling

lsling New Member

you could add a second pair of rubber orthogonal to the first one, so it becomes a cross-band shooter (+)

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was wondering if there were some way to find a couple of large bearings that could help better stabilize the tube. I know this could be rather costly, and trying to find bearings that would handle that diameter might be a bit tough - but they should be available in an industrial type setting - large motors, generators and such. Perhaps they could be found second-hand at a lower cost? Or perhaps move to a slightly smaller diameter tube. As it is, there is a lot of mass being rotated there, which probably increases the need for greater stability. Here is the kind of bearing I'm picturing in my mind:

[​IMG]

I'm also thinking a small electric motor would be a good option as well for rotation. An electric motor would be capable of high torque and high RPMs. I would also recommend moving to a vehicle belt (like a serpentine belt) or, if it were somehow possible, a chain and sprockets.

I still can't wait to see this thing running at 3,000 RPM's. I think at that speed though, some kind of remote release might be a bit safer ;)

Edit: I forgot to add - with a decent sized electric motor (perhaps you know someone who could loan you one), I also wonder if there would not be some way to add a connection point at the end of the shaft directly to the back end of the tube, directly driving the tube at the same speed as the shaft and losing the need for a belt or chain. The bonus of the electric motor is ts you can easily control the speed by varying the voltage. Of course if you were to connect the motor directly to the rear of the tube, you would have to come up with another release method. I'm thinking radio control to a relay. Multiple levels of coolness, but more complexity. We occasionally use remote relays on our projects - products like those from Visonic and Linear - usually not too expensive.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. NyamNyam

NyamNyam Member

Hi,

using ammunition (maybe bigger) with marks on it. So we can see how it spins in flight.

Like billiard training balls.
    [​IMG]

Bye.

14. drusha

drusha New Member

definitely ball bearing. but not ordinary ones. these "lazy susan plattenspieler" are usually used for furniture and not that expensive.
    also, for better rpm and equal force a compressed air or leaf blower would serve better than drill on the side, which applies it's force unequally. two air blowers (or one with a splitter) working on opposite sides of the tube. also, if you let that spinning air inside, it would make a little tornado inside and form an additional spinning effect for the ball.

15. Divei5

Divei5 New Member

You should but ball bearing instead of your realease mechanism and glue the string and a ball between that ballbearing so you could fire with no burn at all
    Hope you understood
    Heres the exsample

Attached Files:

16. idg_dima

idg_dima New Member

Sorry for mistakes, English is my second language.

1. Add wooden platform attached to the table legs. Then put your foot on it to reduse shaking.
    2. Add some kind of barriers on the tube near rollers, so tube will not move forward and backward.
    3. Cut symmetric holes in gear and tube to make it lighter.
    4. Or even get 3 sections of tube (two for rollers parts and one for gear part) and attach it together with four wooden sticks (see image).

Attached Files:

• 001.png
      001.png
      File size:
      8.2 KB
      Views:
  17. iknowmy3tables

iknowmy3tables New Member

I think it would be very interesting to see if the rotation could add stability to a non spherical projectile, perhaps a short round nose projectile in the shape of a shotgun slug like this:
    [​IMG]
    only with a less hollow core
    if you're feeling bold you could modifying the trigger system to hold even longer projectiles like spritzer bullets.
    you could then paint the front and rear of the projectile and watch it on the high speed, if you can it see it at least fishtail in the air then there would be evidence of gyroscopic stabilizization

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  18. carlc4

carlc4 New Member

I noticed a lot of wobble in the tube when it was spinning, it was causing the whole thing to vibrate and move. You could use a thicker tube or some thick bracing around the tube to stop it from wobbling.

19. Kier06

Kier06 New Member

Hello these are my ideas!

1) Remote release trigger. IF you can release the bands remotely that will save you pulling the slingshot at all and touching it in any way this in my opinion will equate to a faster spin speed on launch AND increase the accuracy of the shot over distance.

2) Use a pipe that is not so large! The smaller the pipe the less flexion it will produce during rotations increasing rotation speed even further but be cautious about being able to pull the rubber back through the pipe so have the smallest pipe possible whilst allowing for the easiest possible reload.

3) Place more wheels along the pipe for stability. Every quarter distance of the pipe place wheels.

4) Dual drill power! Use 2 drills, one on each side this will make the pipe spin reach maximum speed in a shorter period of time and it will increase speed because there will be more rotation power against the friction from wheels and the mechanism used for to actually rotate the pipe.

5) As far as increased release speed Higher resistance strength bands or double them up.

6) This is my CRAZY idea... 1 shot, 2 steel balls! Make a sling shot and mirror it with the other so they are identical and parallel to each other... With the remote release idea i had, you could have both shots release at the same time OR single shot release for each! You could also try placing a bit of plastic down the centre of the pipe to separate it into halves so that the rubber will sling out of one half and not get in the way of the second shot.
    It will become the first ever rifled, single barrelled, double shot, double slingshot with remote trigger for 2 single shots or double release!
    You can also put the remote triggers one on each drill. Also make a small frame to sit over the top with a scope on it zerod in for both shots!

20. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Hmmm.

If we really want a 'rifled' projectile, we need to retreat a step or two technologically.... and we need to think about American football.

It occurs to me that your best chance of a spinning projectile comes from a sling, not a slingshot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.