The Mirobolam and the Sunburned

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by nottoyslingshots, Sep 12, 2014.

1. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

Hello guys, I have seen some of your works posted here and I have to say that I felt so small ever since. Anyway I'd like to show you two of my slingshots made last week, I'm new to this universe, I started to make slingshots last month.

The first one is the Mirobolam, made of course from a mirobolam tree fork, I know you might think that it won't be sturdy enough but the mirobolam tree is stronger than it's domestic cousin, the plum tree, which is also stronger than the oak tree (www.wood-database.com facts)

For the next one I don't really know the specie, but it's a hardwood, pale color, but, once stained it could gain some nice patterns. Anyway, as I was sanding it, some really small brown knots came to the surface grouped together 3, 4 or 5 per group. I really liked it and decided to use those patterns to give the catapult character, I used a magnifying glass on a sunny day and burned the hell out of it, I think it came out really well. As you can see it's meant for side shooting.

Attached Files:

2. Whittler

Whittler New Member

Well done! Very nice work.

3. jasonmusic1

jasonmusic1 Member

Looks great man. I love the burned spots!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very creative with the burned spots!
    Both look excellent, but the mirobolam is my favorite of the two. I know it will be plenty strong, fruit tree wood is amazingly solid stuff.
    A great start for you! Welcome to the forum!

5. nottoyslingshots

The Mirobolam one is my favourite too.
    Now that the autumn is here my father's plum tree orchard needs some trimming, and guess who's going to do that just so that he could keep all the good forks. :D

6. Nelson

Nelson New Member

super nice !!!!!!!!! Looks great

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Hey! A Dalmatian slingshot! Both look great!

-Wild Bill

8. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Excellent work. Even better is that you have an endless supply of natural forks. You should trade some of the natural forks from the plum trees for other things.

9. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Beautiful slingshots. Really like the spots.

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Nicely done! A very promising start.

11. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Well done, nottoy.
    The glossy finish suits them well. What did you use on them?

Sounds like a sweet arrangement with the plum trees. Remember to leave extra wood on all three ends when you cut, and paint or otherwise seal them. This will minimize cracks while it dries.

12. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Both excellent looking shooters. Great job and welcome to the forum.

13. nottoyslingshots

I give them a few coats of floor laquer. Belive me, it's a pain in the ass to do that only with a brush, it's hard to get that gloss.
    I was thinking recently that I should buy some laquer spray, just for the final layer.

14. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Beat me to it Bill.

15. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

I use spray lacquer when I want a high gloss finish like you have.

16. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

I have a reeeeelly HARD time believing you've only been doing this for a month. :)

17. nottoyslingshots

Thank you for the compliment... if it was ment to be a compliment :D

18. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Nice job, especially on the second one. I'd love to be able to do that, unfortunately I have the hands of a Parkinson's patient, but I don't actually have Parkinson's

19. nottoyslingshots

You could also use a soldering iron to make the spots... I think it'll give you a little more control. I used the magnifying glass because it was natural and fun.