The Karambit Natural Fork

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Otees, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while because of school but I would like to show my new natural fork made from some kind of eucalyptus in the bushland next to my house. I named it the Karambit because after playing Splinter Cell Blacklist, I wanted to make a curved slingshot. I have also always been fascinated by the Karambit knife. It took about a day to make and the finishing took longer. I am happy with this slingshot as this time I had some more tools available to shape the slingshot and I finally had the opportunity to try linseed oil. I will soon post my 1st ss crossbow.

image.jpg

rasp.jpg

image2.jpg

I am sorry about the lack of pictures I had an uploading problem, probably because the image file was a different type. I used my knife to carve the fork and also used a rasp and file, but underneath the outer layer revealed a whiter fork which was later darkened by linseed oil and after that decking varnish. I also used some car polishing wax which made it really smooth and shiny. You cannot see it in the photo but the slingshot obtained a green tinge due to the use of turtle wax which is green (It isn't made of turtles... despite the name and being green)

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I was wondering where you were, glad to see you back!
    Man, I like that shooter very much! Great job all around, shape, design and finish!
    Eucalyptus is excellent wood and we have a ton of it all along the west coast, but I haven't found a good fork yet. Glad to see you did!

3. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

4. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Will, the fork was on the ground and really dry because usually in my area maybe yours as well the good forks are ten metres up off the ground so it is not easy to find a good eucalyptus fork. Also i was just curious but do authorites on the west coast consider eucalyptus an invasive species? P.S I'm glad to be back as well! I hope you enjoy your fishing and work at the moment.

Alex

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks AngelicScars!!

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Hey, nice shape on the handle...seems...gothic somehow, but without loosing the majesty.

7. Brazilviking

There is a lot of eucalyptus here in my town....but the trees are sooooo high......:(

8. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hahaha thanks BV!

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

You know, that's a good question. I believe that the eucalyptus trees here are not considered an invasive species. Most of them were planted intentionally more than 100 years ago. The story I heard was that it was easier to sell land if it had trees on it. So, the landowners needed a tough tree that will tolerate any climate, from complete drought to our very wet north coast. Of course, it was a bit of a scam for the poor fellow who bought the plot of land and ended up with trees that were no good for building houses and large constructions with!

10. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Sad Tom Clancy died... Then by coincidence you made something inspired by Tom Clancy the day he died or the day his death was announced. Kind of like a memorial. Good job by the way.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work Otees. I'm with BV, there is something raw, gothic, powerful about the shape of it. I like the swell in the grip. Well done.

12. Brazilviking

Sometimes I just don't know what to think about the things that "theonethatshallnotbenamedbecauseheisakidandannoying".....

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Absolutely amazing. Very nicely done.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

15. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Wanimator, it is sad how Tom Clancy died :(

16. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks etrain I didn't really notice but now I see what you mean.

17. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Jeremy!!

18. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

19. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Cool shape! Very nice work :)

20. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks everyone!!!