The Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by flicks, Jun 5, 2013.

1. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Hi, [​IMG]

this is an oak boardcut for testing a new inlay method. The hummingbird is milled approx. 2 mm deep into the surface. I've filled the cut with clay called FIMO which can be cured at 110° C in the oven. The bandset is 15-8 tapered for shooting BB's

Hope you like it and thanks for watching!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!!

3. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

nice slingshot and bird

4. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

5. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

That's amazing looking.

6. Znaz

Znaz Guy

Stunning, truly a piece of art.

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Very nice work! Interesting idea with the fimo too! My daughter says it's a "cutie" ;)

8. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous" -- Aristotle.

It is an exquisitely beautiful piece of work, Flicks. Classical perfection is all I can see. Elegant shape. Silky finish. Charming artistic touch.

A graceful tribute to an inspiring little creature. One of my favorites here in the desert. Tiny, but fierce little warriors with sword-like beaks defending their garden patch of penstemon and chuparosa.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

9. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Very, very nice!
    I see the Scotch Broom in the back ground. Sorry too see you have that plague too. We're on the 10 year plan of pulling it until it stops growing back on our property. 2 yrs down, 8 more to go.... :mad::D

10. flicks

Thank you onnod!

Thanks zurdoman

Thanks, appreciate your comment Saderath!

Thank you!

Thanks Znaz

Thank you Ravensbull. Your daughter is right. As the shooter has been finished, I was surprised how cute this little thing is (for a slingshot)

Thank you Thistle for your kind words! Very much appreciated!

Thanks Bert. In my region the Scotch broom is not really a plague. You can find it sometimes at the edge of the woods, but never in residential areas.

11. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice! I like the "tropical" colours of the bird :)

12. flicks

Thank you [​IMG]

13. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

Another craftsman to watch! Very nice work and looks great! We have a lot of the little hummers up here. My wife puts out quite a bit of the nectar that they seem to like. In the afternoon they seem to congregate with many fights/warnings to each other as well as the mating rituals. They do seem to entertain.

14. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Interesting. My wife just said that it's not like it is here( she's German). Here it's a bloody plague. Anywhere ground is disturbed it pops up and spreads like mad, choking out everything native. There are community groups that get together around now, because it's flowering, and have group cuttings. When it's in flower, the root is at it's weakest and will usually die when cut. Otherwise it just shoots up more stems. I guess maybe the birds don't eat the seeds as much there and therefore it doesn't get spread. I've cut some that are 4" at the trunk! got some pretty stout "Y"'s that are drying to be made into naturals. I'm amazed at how hard it seems. At least the big ones. Probably comparable to rock maple. Nice buttery blonde wood too.

15. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

nice band attachment
    and a beautiful shoter

16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

That slingshot is bringing summer on this pages.
    Beautiful job!!!

17. flicks

Thank you very much Traveler!

Never thought about using the Ginster (so we call it in Germany) as wood for a shooter. Thanks Bert, nice idea, I think I will give it a try.

Thanks rock slinger. I've described the method a little more detailed here https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/illusion-30000/#post211757

Summer is desperately needed. Thanks a lot tokSick!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013