The flow (in manzanita and copper)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by flicks, Oct 17, 2013.

1. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Hi slingshot enthusiats![​IMG]

A time ago Thistle sent me a BIG package with 4 beautiful forks (2 manzanita and 2 alligator juniper) along with a lot of other amazing things! :) Thistle, I really can't thank you enough for that!
    I didn't want to mess something up, so I practiced a bit on a beech fork before start working on these ones.

Last week I plucked up courage and worked on the smaller one of the manzanita forks. Man, that stuff is INCREDIBLE strong and she cut the forks by hand!! :eek:

I tried to add some subtile details. They should just point our the beautiful lines and grain on this fork, so I decided to do a lamination with copper plates and this is the result.

I hope you like it! Thanks for watching!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

WOW!!! This is just beautiful! You turned a great gift into a true masterpiece. Never seen anything like this!

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Amazing and thistle is very nice :)

J

4. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

gorgeous... nuff said:cool:

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Wow! That is something else flicks, it is absolutely stunning.
    But then, every piece you put up has been nothing short of amazing and most certainly inspiring!

6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

The choice of copper for accent on this amazing wood is perfect.
    Its like some strange sorcery acted on the tree while it grew and infused metal into the veins of it.

Magnificent!

(the rebel flag makes a cool backdrop, too)

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Pure art! Sometimes I think that I would be afraid of shooting such a masterpiece!

8. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Now that is slick!

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That copper is so beautifully intertwined with the wood that if you had said this is how it came out of the tree, I don't think I would have questioned it. It's just gorgeous. It inspires me to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. It was very nice of Thistle to send those lovely forks for the 'Flicks' treatment. One question though, where's the paw print? I love that on your work.

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Never seen anything quite this before, excellent!

11. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

absolutely amazing work flicks !!! the cooper inlay (?) really FLOWS in perfect harmony with the wood ... very well achieved kinetic sensation ... haaa movement flowing, I can feel it ... flowing ... again flowing ... awesome my friend, ART !
    Cheers
    Arturo

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

awesome work dude!! i love it!!

13. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Wow. Superior! Brilliant!

14. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Amazing. I could not imagine how long that took you.

15. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

nicely done. wonder how you fit the copper plates so tight to the wood? did you bend them before you saw the shape out?

16. xXdoomXx

May I guess how you did this you cut it into (the fork) swirls and such and stuck copper in between I gotta try it out :)

J

17. LW

LW New Member

No, all parts are laminated and everything is glued together (I think) And all forms must be very well coordinated.

Also has probably taken copper because it will bend easier than brass or aluminum.

Nevertheless this is a very clean, precise and incredibly good work. The beauty of the wood completes the work of art. :eek:

18. xXdoomXx

That is what I meant :p

J yes he probably did use copper because it bends easier per and I find it looks better with brown woods (just my opinion)

19. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Flicksie! Oh my goodness! And holy smokin whittle sticks -- Wow!

Another dazzling natural beautifully carved from your hands. I cannot believe how humble you're being with this fiery little beauty with her gleaming copper tendrils winding ever so flirtatiously around those lovely amber waves of burgundy grain.

What a gorgeous job you did with it! A massive amount of work for this one little mischievous shooter, I know. Mischievous is probably the perfect description for Manzanita. A very difficult wood to cut and cure. A beautiful shrub, dark red venous bark, and strong twisting branches that will bleed red if you don't treat it with great respect. Very popular among artisans here in the Southwest. And it's no wonder...

When walking among the sun-paled manza bones, it's very much a holy experience and akin to being on sacred ground. There is really nothing quite like it. I'm honored to have been permitted passage on this beautiful land. And to be able to get some of this lovely wood to you was my pleasure.

Lovely craftsmanship, Flicks. You honour the character of that noble wood well. [​IMG] Thank you for putting your heart and soul into working with it. I know it wasn't easy.

Thistle
    [​IMG]

20. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

I know how flicks did it - it's magic!
    Fantastic work. Bow to the master.