The Father-In-Law

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by beaverIII73, Dec 22, 2013.

1. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Here is another knife I just finished. Why "father-In-Law" you ask? Because I made it for my father in law Christmas present. I'm still using an old file for the metal and the handle is made of oak. This one I tried a hidden tag handle and I real like this still. It gives me a little more material to work with when shaping the handle. I got a new knife sharping set and wow is this thing sharp. Well i hope you all like it, I know I do almost don't want to send it off lol.

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Do not send it to your father-in-law. Send it to me. PM me for the address.

-Wild Bill

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Great work! Your really becoming a Master of those flat bastards (Oldschool file name). The touch of leaving the bit of teeth is becoming like your maker's mark. Perfect classic design also. If it was going to be going to WB, I'd have to challenge him to an amateur wrestling match for it!!! Keep on grinding, each one is a gem!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Really great knife. I like the oak handle - very nice. I really need to try this myself sometime. I'm getting jealous of all these beautiful blades being posted here.

5. beaverIII73

Thanks man for your kind words. I really enjoy making them. I'm trying to improve my skill in knife making before I move on to more expensive steel. The files are very cheep if you find them in junk stores or pawn shops. And I really dig the oldschool look of the file teeth, it makes them more real and rustic. My next one I'm going to make is a going away present for on of the guys I work with. He is going to school to become a Boatswains Mate. So its going to be a rigging knife with a marlin-spike. Should be something to see when I'm done with it.

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Nice work again beav, you're getting really good at knifemaking. How do you attach the knife to the handle? I've been having trouble doing that, you think you could do a picture tutorial maybe?

7. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Realy nice knife!

8. beaverIII73

I did this one as a hidden tang . I cut the tang down to about 1/2" then drilled the two holes for for the brass pins. I cut groove on the tang to give a little extra hold for the epoxy. I drilled three holes down the oak and used a file to make it the same size as the tang. Then I made a batch of epoxy pored it down the hole in the handle, inserted the pins and let it dry. Search youtube for hidden tang knife. There are some very good tutorials on the subject. Good luck with your projects.

9. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

*nodding as if I understand*
    Ok I'll check out those YouTube videos