"The Desolator"

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by kohlqez, Dec 30, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

A lot of firsts for me with this one, first right handed sling, first TTF, first metal core, first 1 day slingshot, And first self designed boardcut. It's also THE MOST INTRICATELY DESIGNED SLING I'VE EVER MADE.
    Materials:
    Approximately 1" thick birch cabinet ply, Aluminum core maybe 2-3mm, 3/4" poplar board
    Tools:
    Bandsaw 3/16" blade, Mini scrolling/table saw hybrid thing, Round (rat-tail) and half round bastard files, Half round rasp, 16pc carving knife set, Soldering iron, Red food coloring, Tung oil, Sand paper

I know it looks a lot like Bill Hay's "Harpy" but I designed it myself. I named it The Desolator because Hrawk already took the name The Dragon. It's actually a weird story how I decided on The Desolator. I was watching the BBC show "Sherlock" (I watch TV on my tablet while I work in the garage) based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" novels. When I got to thinking about Benedict Cumberbatch (he plays Holmes in the TV show) he has also been in 2 recent American movies, Star Trek: Into Darkness, as the villain Khan, and The Hobbit: (pt 2) The Desolation of Smaug, in which he plays the voice of Smaug the dragon. Rather than name The slingshot Smaug, I went with the Desolator. Any way I'll shut up now since you just wanna look at the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Looks awesome.

Cumberatch also played the voice of the necromancer in The Desolation of Smaug.

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Good work. The burn design you did kinda gives it a 'batsling' look.

-Wild Bill

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work. Have you shot it yet? I like the details you burned into the wood, it looks very intimidating that way. Very cool.

5. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

That one is eye catching. :)

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'm thinking of doing another one with more details like scales and stuff

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

The burning gives it that Middle-earth look, nice :)

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Oh I also used loctite multipurpose 5min epoxy to stick the two halves to the aluminum