"The Cauldron": New experimental design

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Jan 3, 2014.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

In order to try something new, I played around with things I find giving a good grip.

Kugel Winnie gave me a few 60mm steel balls as a gift recently - those are feeling actually great in the hand! I thought if they would have a little hook for the pinkie, and another little hook for the webbing between thumb and index finger, who knows...

So I made a handle just like that, from plywood leftovers.

Basically a 60mm wooden ball with ramps for the pinkie, thumb and index finger. This design takes the concept of a palm swell one step further - it is JUST a palm swell!

Of course it fills out the hand 100%, even though it is by no means a big slingshot.

I will now band it up and shoot it a bit... don't know, this might be the beginning of a new design line. It certainly is not a beauty... no "chalice", just a "cauldron". But it does have a certain appeal, don't you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

I like it. Looks like a happy Buddha.

Attached Files:

3. i like it but it might be better if you made it slightly bigger? looks cool!

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yes, maybe a bit bigger and a bit more slim... but not much. This is pretty good already.

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I like the handle concept, but the forks look more like an afterthought than an integral part of the overall form. Perhaps 'molding' the forks more into the handle? -Wild Bill

6. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

Lol, it really does. I like it though. Doe the design benefit stability in any way?

7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I got that very same feeling holding the "Steam Bone" I made a while back. The handle was a store bought railing spindle. The middle was nice and round and fat. Never thought to explore it further but I will now. Thanks for the inspiration. You're always a step ahead!

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Cool design! I'm with Wild Bill, the forks don't appear to be part of the structure and makes it look a bit flimsy(is that even a word?) at least to me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The fork is by no means flimsy, it is 18mm thcik plywood and 15mm wide. It goes through about 80% of the ball shaped handle.

The whole thing is experimental so the design of the fork is entirely practical, looks have been of no concern at this point. That can always come later. I focus on hammer grip shooters, the shape of the fork obviously has no relevance for the ergonomics of such frames.

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I know it isn't flimsy haha, i've seen what multiplex can take ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Looks cute :)

If you can´t hit with it, you can at least throw it :p

12. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's an interesting concept Joerg. I like it. I'd like to see it developed a bit further. Perhaps it won't ever be a pocket shooter, but then, they can't all be can they? Truly innovative. A nice start to 2014.

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I am still not convinced - this is way less comfortable than the Moorhammer and the Rambone. Mind you the stress is all in the pinkie and in the webbing between the thumb and index finger. The other fingers hardly take any pressure at all, they just support the pinkie a little bit.

15. WildBill

What if the ball was held kinda like the way you hold/squeeze a stress ball, and the forks sprouted out from between the index and middle finger?

-Wild Bill

16. WildBill

...(still thinking) or the forks came out from a wrap around the fist, kinda like brass knuckles?

-Wild Bill

17. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I literaly loled when I saw it. Joyfull little cutie xD pinky buddha

18. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I love inovations and experiments! Thumbs up! i hope you keep working on that idea, Joerg!

19. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member