The C.L. (Cardboard Lama)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by thechristiantodd, Nov 27, 2013.

1. thechristiantodd

thechristiantodd New Member

I bet you've never seen this before. Just a highdea I had. This is a CARDBOARD SLINGSHOT, made entirely from cardboard, glue and string. I had this design in mind from Snader76 with his claw sniper, https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/claw-sniper-30494/ . I said I would like to make a version out of plywood, but since it was all in Edinburgh, I thought of the next best thing. By compacting thin sheets of strong card with super glue, you make a very hard material, which works fine in thickness. I got the idea of glue and layers from tacome1942, http://www.youtube.com/user/Tacome1942/videos and it has worked on some simple designs I made.Then I covered it all with string and pva glue to hold the binding. It turned out better than hoped and is very strong. I thought it looked a bit like a lama with the string...so there you have it! :) Hope you like this, I think this might be a first.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I dunno which is more striking- the slingshot or the hair. Both are quite kewl, though.

-Wild Bill

3. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

nice idea does it work well?

4. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

:( I want an afro too.... nice idea

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Ghetto micarta! I like it! :)

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Dude, thats a rippin good 'fro! The slingy was coo too.

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Sorry, I have not seen the slingshot...to busy looking at your hair!

8. thechristiantodd

thechristiantodd New Member

Haha, glad you're all feelin the fro :D And I had no idea what 'micarta' was, but it describes the process perfectly :) In answer to Skorps, I haven't banded it yet, but the frame feels almost as solid as wood, but with the slightest amount of flex. If you use thinner layers and more glue, you could make very strong things indeed, it would just take longer. I've used this method to make pretty solid things in the past so I didn't see any reason why you could not make a slingshot. Cheers for your comments! :)