The Buckeye

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by beaverIII73, Jan 4, 2014.

1. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Here is my latest file knife the Buckeye. The guy I made it for as a going away present loves the "Buckeyes" (why I have no idea, but to each is there own). It has a full tang mahogany handle and aluminum bolster, brass pins and a nice lanyard eye. I added a skinning hook to the back of the knife this time because my friend is and avid hunter and I think he will put it to good use. Hope you all like it.

Attached Files:

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Very interesting blade shape for a file knife how did you shape it like that?

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Okay, I guess you don't suck after all. Nice job!

-Wild Bill

4. beaverIII73

Thanks Bill. Now that I have your approval all is right in the universe.

5. beaverIII73

I start buy tracing the outline of the file several time. Draw out a bunch of knives. Thin I pick one and cut out the rough shape with a grinder. Some filing (yes I use file to make a file knife lol) a lot of time on the sander. And then pow i have I knife. Add one handle (a lot more filing and sanding) and some of the blessing from god called "Linseed Oil" and shes done. I would love to take some video but i cane only do still for now.

6. beaverIII73

Oh one other thing I did put a vinegar patina on it to help with rusting. And it added an interesting line on the blade from the heat treating.

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Looks awesome I like the gut hook it adds a more furious look :p

J

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Using a file to make a file knife, I like that! Looks good, very functional too. A gut hook is always a welcome addition to a hunters knife :)

9. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

you could of course use the hook for like... opening a beer bottle?
    haha very nice knife!

10. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Clean work. I like it.

11. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

This is my personal favorite of what you have shown so far and a very well done piece! Beauty and function in balance. Your friend should really enjoy it, I know I would! It really is all the blade even a big game hunter would need.

12. beaverIII73

Thanks guys for all of your kind words and praise. This was my favorite one as well. The young man that I gave it to is at the start of what I hope to be a long and for filling career in the US Coast Guard. And thought this would be a great way to remember his first unit.

13. sballammo

sballammo New Member

Very nice story. He'll remember it.