"The Banana" a natural fork moorhammer made from HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Otees, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Otees

Otees Another Member

So I made my 3rd slingshot, a natural moorhammer. It took 3 days of work Shaping, sanding, oiling. This is my first attempt and I used no power tools (I have none). The finish is baby oil (Mineral oil with fragerance) and used 109 office rubber. It is really comfortable to hold and ergonomical. I tried a curvier design as the wood was curvy (I had to adapt). The Banana is called the banana because it was curvy and yellow. My sister named it when it was unsanded the 'naked banana' as it looked unpeeled see image below when slingshot is finished and unsanded. It looks like an ordinary banana when it is treated in baby oil.

066.jpg

056.jpg

The problem is identifying the wood, same problem I had with my first post, it being te same wood. It’s hardwood and Australian but it might be somewhere else in the world, I see it everywhere when I go on hikes.

047.jpg

This is the tree in the bush next to my house (Karawatha forest)

055.jpg

The fork that I used.

048.jpg

The fork stripped.

053.jpg

Working process of slingshot.

056.jpg

The finished shape not oiled or sanded.

066.jpg

Finally finished.

058.jpg

The side profile

059.jpg

The other side.

061.jpg

The top of the fork.

That's it for now, maybe my last slingshot before school. I'll be back in a few weeks. I will try and post something in the first four weeks (less stress) but I will definitely post in 10 weeks. Please leave some advice as it is my first moorhammer and my 3rd slingshot.Please identify the wood, I would be so grateful.

Cheers,
    Alex

Attached Files:

• 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Otees

Otees Another Member

P.S- It is NOT made from Banana wood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Great and nice work without Powertools.

Joe

4. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks and also for the first comment.

5. The wooden bananas are hard to eat!

Not good for the teeth!

And they are so dry!

Throwing on Persons make hurt!

Joe

6. Otees

Otees Another Member

Yeah, I agree. It would make a good throwing stick (a primitive weapon) I might make one in the shape of a banana.

7. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Not very primitive if you have to develop the skills to actually USE one of those. Kind of stupid how people also call the Atlatl a "primitive" weapon if it takes INSANE amounts of skill, to make and use effectively.

8. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Nice work on the ss.

I think if you get pictures of the leaves up close i think there's something in Google that can ID your mystery wood. If it has any berries or fruit that will help.

9. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks thats a good idea, the wood has no berries, has 10 mm brown balls with lumps. The leaves are prickly straight and thin. Thanks again

10. Otees

Otees Another Member

Yep, it requires heaps of skill

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Banana trees doesn't have wood...:D their very "body" is part os the leafs, modificated.
    If you want to identify the tree, analise the leafs, wood characteristics and roots, as well as size of the adult tree. A botanic or florestal engineer (as my sister:)) may help.

12. Otees

Otees Another Member

Ok thanks for the tips and BTW your sister has a pretty cool job.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  13. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Great Work and a really nice Colour from your Slingshot ;)

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

might be some kind of eucalyptus tree but i'm not sure. was there a koala sitting on it?

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I can't tell from the photo, but did the tree have needles as leaves and was the bark full of sap/resin? Because it almost looks like a type of cedar, but lighter in colour. An up close photo of the leaves and bark may help us to identify.
    Great job on your shooter, I really like how it looks!

16. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

kinda looks like a sheoak to me

17. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Schultz :)

18. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks but I figured out it was SHe-Oak or Casuarinaceae. No koalas in the tree, but there were kangaroos on the ground

19. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Will, I figured it out after going on all the hardwoods on wikipedia. Its Casuarinaceae or she-oak

20. Otees

Otees Another Member

Wow, kineticweaponry! You really know your Australian woods, your right I checked as well.