The Anti-ball // Die Anti-Kugel

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Haecksler, May 23, 2013.

1. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

One year ago, i had an interesting idear; I was shooting some 8mm steel balls into some old sheet metal buckets and cans. Impressive that there were deep mouldes, but no ball went trough. So i thought sime times about something with sharp edges to cut the sheet metal. Then the Idear was born, Die Anti-Kugel!
    Yesterday, a shooting colleague came over to penetrate some old ceramic tiles, this was a lot of fun :D
    When i saw some old cans laying arround, i remembered my old idear.
    We went to my workshop and simply build one. I took an old long 1cm-sqare steel and sawed a 1cm³ Cube off.
    This is just a cube yet, the next step let it become the anti-ball:
    The cube were holded 12 times (two directions at every site) at the rough wheel of a double grinder, so that there was an engraved cross.
    [​IMG]
    We shot it with my E++ hammerhead and Bands for 12mm steel balls. The Weight of the ammo would be nearly like of a 10mm ball.
    [​IMG]
    In the pouch lays an 8mm steel ball as comparison.
    [​IMG]

the aerodynamic wouldn't be as good as at a real ball, but propably better als we had just shot a cube. Anyway it was no problem to hit he 8cm can from 3meters. But the real average is: you can really penetrate the sheet metal. Watch this sausage can, moulds of 8mm balls in comparison to the pretty trogh impact of the anti-ball:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two layers of the sheet were too much, but 'cause the edges are conic, there were also two deep impacts one centimerter apart;).

Now our petition at master Jörg: would you please build a few of this and test it at the end of one of your videos? We're excited what this lethal ammo can wreak in extreme use or just in bigger sizes:eek:

You all are free to test and use this ammo-design, but i won't be liable for your fails!

Thank you for reading guys!

Greetings, Haecksler!

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

3. LW

LW New Member

The ammo looks very interesting, but I would not shoot with it. The angular shape and sharp edges can easily become a "return to sender" shot.
    A steel ball can already be dangerous, but this ammunition as a “RTS” would be a disaster. :eek:

Maybe with a very hard leather pouch, but I would not recommended this.

Just cut pieces (about 10 mm) of an M10 threaded rod. That should be enough to make holes in strong cans.
    With the right technique and the right band setup, you should easily be able to penetrate the can on your photo with a 10 mm steel ball. :)

Safety first...

---------------
    Die Munition sieht sehr interessant aus, aber damit schießen würde ich nicht. Die eckige Form und die scharfen Kanten können ganz leicht zu einem "Return to sender" Schuss werden.
    Eine Stahlkugel kann schon gefährlich sein, aber diese Munition wäre als „RTS“ eine Katastrophe.

Vielleicht mit einer sehr harten Leder Pouch, aber auch das ist nicht zu empfehlen.

Schneide einfach Stücke (ca. 10 mm) mit der Flex von einer M10 Gewindestange. Das sollte ausreichen um Löcher in strake Dosen zu machen.
    Mit der richtigen Technik und dem richtigen Band Setup, sollte es Euch aber auch leicht gelingen mit einer 10 er Stahlkugel die Dose/ Deckel auf dem Bild zu lochen.

Safety first...

4. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Or wear a heavy work glove on your fork hand.

5. I wouldn't shoot without a steel glove like Götz von Berlichingen.
    It's a Dum Dum Geschoss!
    What woult it do with a 10mm Multiplexplatte or a filled can?

Joe

6. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

Awesome Idea!

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Those are looking great. And I disagree, RTSs aren't more likely with it. I believe RTSs happen when the ball slips out of the pouch at some point, so the pouch overturns it and catches it on the way back. This design makes that less likely, I believe.

I will eventually make a few of these - but waaayyy thicker of course :)

30 to 40 gramms, as always. Zombie killers.

8. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

Maybe i should report back at my topic ;)
    First i want to say a 'thank you' at onnod, CJC and ultimatelizardman! :)
    But because construktive criticism is more important than just praise, I'll also thank LW, studer 1972 and Drachentoeter!
    In this 5 to 6 shots we've done before our prototype disappeared in the weeds, nothing bad happened ;) I'm not sure if we had used gloves, but sure we used some glasses, this projectile is already more dangerous than a "real-ball" ( ;) )
    And we're really pleased that our little projectile will be tested by one who wouldn't worry about negative aspects. Build them how big you want, I just find this square-steel to make one (and if the wheather will be better in a few days a few more...)
    Thank you all guys,

Greetings, Haecksler!

9. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Cool idea.
    But i wouldn't test it with my
    <-- thumbshooter... :D

10. Antagonist_111

Antagonist_111 Sniper Member

To create sharp edges for greater penetration is a great idea!

I thought about how to possibly minimize the aerodynamic disadvantages of your already great design while keeping the penetrating power.
    Then it struck me: What makes ball ammunition great is its aerodynamic form, what makes it ineffective is it's bluntness!

So why not keep the shape but add penetrating components like conic spikes. Almost like the hitting part of a mace! Google mace to see what I mean.

I'll try and build one and post it if I succeed!
    Cheers!

11. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Hmm, I think this is well worth revisiting :) How about it Jörg, did you make and try some of those antiballs? Any video I might have missed with them?

How about you all? What's your thoughts on these cubes?

12. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

Good idea in theory, but it might not be worth the risk of shredding your hand. He already shot steel cubes.

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8OARod4GA[/ame]

14. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

The best part about that video was your wife laughing when the skull ejector broke. You can tell she is trying not to laugh but just cannot help it.

15. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

If you thought that was funny, watch the bloopers at the end of this video! I almost died laughing!

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWI0jqsW4Cc[/ame]

16. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Lmao, very entertaining :)