The Alien Blaster 1.0

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by kohlqez, Dec 24, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

It's made from a little oak and crappy plywood 5 1/2" long/thick 4" from fork tip to fork tip, soaked tung oil finish. I deviated from my blueprint a little to make it feature the oak more (it was going to have a Haresplitter type forward band attachment) then I realized it would be impossible to attach the bands, so that's why I drilled those holes.
    I really like it, turned out great! The crappy pine plywood makes it smell nice and has a nice grain. Called The Blaster 'cause I think it's kinda shaped like an alien blaster. As soon as I get a decent crucible for melting aluminum I'm planning on making another similar design, I think it'll look even more space alien like cast in aluminum.
    Anyway hope you like it I'll post more pics once I attach the bands

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

This is very different, and I like it.

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Good job with all the lamination and shaping. Interested to see how you band it up. You may find out you wish the grip was longer though due to the rubber load pushed forward, depending on what and how much rubber you install.

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thats really cool. If you have a fork break off of that then there is something wrong!

Looking forward to seeing it banded up. :)

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Here it is banded up, which was quite a pain... probably couldn't have done it without my homemade banding tool

Attached Files:

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Oh wow, I assumed you would be using tubes with the hole. Thats a really neat solution! Like it even more now :)

7. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

If your round the edges of where you're tying the thinner strips of rubber through, you could just tie a constrictor knot. I've started doing that on my slings with band grooves, and it holds very well. It would be easier for you than stretching your rubber through the small hole. The cross section of where it ties would have to be very rounded though so that the knot has even grip.

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

There's a solution! Any suggestions on how I should go about rounding the insides of the holes? All that I can think of is cutting a little strip of sand paper and putting it through the hole and working away the edges

9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I've been thinking of a similar minimalist approach like that with the addition of a whisker biscuit I just ordered. I like your imaginative design! Looks a little like ET's profile. It's fun to watch you grow. Happy Holidays!