The “Conch-ita” / Building and lots of pictures

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by LW, Feb 3, 2014.

1. LW

LW New Member

Just saw out the frame from a 6 mm Aluminum plate and cutting some threads in the fork tips.

Co01.jpg

The laminating orgy begins… each part is glued one after the other

Co02.jpg

Sanding the monster block flush and smooth, for the first time you can
    actually see how it will look

Co03.jpg

Drilling 10 mm hole through the block and fitting the pins.

Co04.jpg

Cutting off the excess at the forks with a simple saw. That saves me a lot of grinding work

Co05.jpg

Let the file-work begin…

Co06.jpg

Cutting off the excess at the clips sucks at my band saw, I already damaged a new Blade by because a small cut off has fallen between the saw blade and the roller.

Co07.jpg

So first to prepare a new inlay for that cheap band saw.

Co08.jpg

Sawing those small pieces by holding it at the saw blade, after 12 hours of work, not a good idea. So I have to build me a guide from some crap piece of wood lying around. To fix those small things I use a very good Double-sided tape, folded it four times. This works very well, as you can see.

Co09.jpg

Push forward very slowly

Co10.jpg

2. LW

LW New Member

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey LW,

do you mind me taking pride in what you built?
    Either way: I DO! ´nuff said..

You are an outstanding designer and craftsman!
    And: NO, THERE IS NOTHING TO CRITICIZE!

(Except maybe for what that round file was good for making a
    rectangular groove?.. Asking to niggle a bit! :) )

thanks for sharing this queen!

Be

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks for posting the detailed step-by-step photos LW. For a guy like me, it almost makes it look like I could pull off something like this - almost. By the way, brilliant idea on the band saw insert, I just had a small piece of wood get lodged in the blade guide of my band saw this weekend. I need to try making one of those myself.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I do have a question that's been on my mind for a while. As you're working with a piece like this, with an aluminum core, what method works best to bring the laminated materials up to the edge of the aluminum? I see you mentioned sanding - I assume a drum or belt sander? Does that run a risk of marring the surface of the aluminum? Once you get to the point where the wood/micarta/aluminum start to all be affected by the sanding, do you have any discoloration from the oxidizing of the aluminum as you sand it? I'd like to try an aluminum core some time, but I recall folks have had some of the troubles I've mentioned, though your piece seems to show no signs of those issues.

6. pabloknecht

pabloknecht New Member

Congratulations! It is one of the most beautiful i have ever seen!

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

to the point! ;) Well asked!

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

great job LW! i really like it and the fact the clips are matching the handle makes it even better!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

9. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

:( I cant even google kirinite in my region lol :D where did you get it ?

10. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This slingshot looks very elegant and beautiful.
    Thank you very much for sharing your awesome project with us, LW!

11. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Great start-to-finish photo walk-through tutorial! Your combination of metal, wood and plastic is very well done, the
    band clamps and mosaic pin are great and the finished sling is a beauty! Top notch workmanship and creation.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  12. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Loves me a build log!

13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Thanks for the work involved in sharing this build with us. I love the end results you achieve.

Looking at your work continues to raise my standards for my own work.

Like Withak, I'm curious what tricks you have to sand/polish the different materials and keep them all happy together.

14. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

What exactly is the material u used in the lamination( the black and white material)

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I really don't know what to say......is so nice!,,

16. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

That is an awesome piece of art. It is amazing how you made all of the different materials work so good together. I would be interested to hear the answer to White Hawk's question myself and thanks for spending your time to take the step by step photos to share with others. Great job;)

17. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

I´m proud, that i could shake the hand, which build this piece of art.
    Very nice slingshot.

18. LW

LW New Member

Thank you guys for those nice words, your nice comments compensate all the hard work!

@ Withak
    I do not understand exactly what you ask, but I try to explain what might be the problem when working with Aluminum and Wood Laminations.
    Working the fine saw dust from the aluminum into a softer material like Wood, is a big problem.
    Therefore you have to keep the grinding direction most of the time. Look at the pictures below.

grindind direction.jpg

As I know this problem, I chose a 2 mm Micarta layer between the wood and the Aluminum. This gives me the possibility for “Grinding to the edge” so you can sand the Aluminum with the Micarta, no problem, and you can sand the Wood with the Micarta, no problem.

@BeMahoney
    (Except maybe for what that round file was good for making a
    rectangular groove?.. Asking to niggle a bit! )

Come on Be you will not gone catch me with this one…:D

Maybe I expressed myself wrong in the text by saying “some Key files” I should have said different key files…;)

When I saw the grove with the hand saw, I noticed that it was too narrow. The square key file fits exactly inside the grove. Further filing with the square file would probably cause a disaster, if this becomes jammed in the narrow groove, the corner on the fork tips could break very easily. So I enlarged the grove first with a round file…

BTW, those are my basic tools I work with

files.jpg

drums.jpg

pads.jpg

brett.jpg

Mask.jpg

As some people ask about the black and white material, it is called Kirinite or sometimes in Germany they call it ABS (but I think that's the wrong name) It is very famous for making Knife Handles. You can get this in a lot of different colors. I love to work with this material, easy to file as wood, but you can work exact like steel with it. And you can polish it like glass without any coatings. Sometimes I find this on ebay

Some time ago, I have done some knife handles with it

knife.jpg

knife01.jpg

A wonderful coincidence
    It is exactly a year ago, that I post my first build slingshot, some might remember “the red Devil” I used red Kirinite at the fork tips

red devil.jpg

19. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Very nice master LW ... beautiful outcome and cool attachment system ! great shop and tools !
    cheers

20. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

:0

j

slingshots